Equipment resale value

ericande

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As I grow into this hobby, I will be picking up lots of equipment. I know two things, I can't afford all of what I want now, and I will outgrow some of my equipment. When I decide to sell some of what I aquire, how well does photo equipment hold it's value? I've heard you can resell lenses in mint condition for 75% or more of what you paid. But what about other things like camera bodies, tripods, light sources and filters? I know there is a broad range, I'm just trying to get some idea. This will help me decide what stuff I have to save for and what stuff I can "skimp on" now.

Thanks!

Your popular higher end lenses hold value well..Canon/nikon more so then 3rd party..sigma, tamron,tokina. Bodies don't fair so well since they are prone to upgrading so often. DSLR's are starting to get cheaper at the retail level as well, so thats not helping much. Tripods...I am not sure. Don't know if i'll part with mine anytime soon. I dropped some coin on a nice one, I don't know how they would really improve on it. Flash....not sure.

For somebody just getting into it..I would say get a decent body that you will be able to learn a lot on without all the extras you don't really need. The DSLR's are getting so cheap now. I started out on a used Digital Rebel (300d), not the best compared todays standards, but I learned a lot and it still takes amazing photos if you use it right. The Most important thing really is the Lenses. Those will go with you as you upgrade your body over time. Don't just look at the price tag of the "dslr package" that you usually start with, look at the lens line ups and costs for your future gear. See what you will want 5 or more years from now. Then pick. For me I like the canon lineup more and went with them. For the other stuff....... I bought the nicest tripod I could afford right away instead of wasting money on a loose noodle. Its built like a tank and I feel comfortable in its ability to hold my multi-thousand dollar camera/lens setup in windy conditions (also doubles as a weapon in the situation where i've almost gotten mugged) I am a night photography nerd and the tripod is a thing I really needed. If plan on just doing handholding, you could probably skip the tripod untill a need presents itself.

My first setup was a 300d with kit lens and a 50mm 1.8. Bought it all for 500 dollars summer 05. best 500 I have ever spent.

I should add I currently have the *costco* d50 kit. Came with a 28-80 and 70-300 lenses. I think I've decided on the next two lenses I want. But the biggest thing I'm trying to decide on is filters. For instance, I really want a polarizing filter but don't want to spend another $100 on a great one right now...

Filters...Get the filter that will fit your largest filter ring size then use step up rings. To be honest, I don't spend that much on my filters. I spent maybe 50 on my CPL filter and another 80 on some ND filters. Not that big of an issue for me. Some swear by the high end stuff..I just had other gear on my list that needed more money.

I don't think you buy filters for their re-sale value. Unfortunately any filter you purchase I guarantee you you will never sell it but the upside to that is if you buy quality filters they will last you a long time through many cameras and lenses as long as you buy as was previously stated larger size filters.

I agree with what's been said. Spend your money on good lenses...they should last your for a long time and serve you well. Top end lenses will hold their value very well. Cheaper lenses may eventually need to be upgraded...but their resale value won't be as good as pro lenses (with the exception of some popular lenses).

You only need one polarizer filter...(get the size of your biggest lens). You may not need a $100 filter...but don't get a $20 either. Other than that, maybe UV filters to protect your lenses...should be all you need (for most types of shooting).

If you are looking long term...it will probably be in your best interest to get the very best you can afford...rather than buy cheap and upgrade later.

Buying used equipment in good shape will also help reduce or eliminate the depreciation. I sold my A2e and EOS5 bodies for about the same as I bought them for (used), and even made a few dollars on them. I had used them for a couple of years for free, effectively. I bought my zooms used and sold them for only a little less. You just have to be careful about what you buy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back