Equipment upgrade?

You deal with alot of potraits so lenses for that should be your focus. I am in a similiar situation would be interested in the replies. I've been looking at maybe a 28-135mm area.

"I don't really know what outgrowing a camera means."

Well generally it's about an improved sensor that handles using Higher 800-3200 iso. Which allows a user to use the camera without flash in more lower light situations. Also outgrowing may also mean wanting a camera with more features like higher FPS, Bracketing, More AF points for faster AF lock. Also can mean having more dedicated controls on the body for less menu digging and a need to having to remove your eye from the viewfinder to make a change in a setting.

"Can I not use the same lenses if I move to a full frame?"

Depends on the lenses if they are Dx lenses then no not really except using them in Dx mode if the full frame camera supports it. Don't recommend you even consider it. As you don't seem knowledgeable enough to make the jump to full frame. I would stick with others and state a Canon 40D would be a great step up.

Sorry Nikon user myself. But it seems you don't have enough experience on determining what to get? Just that you can? Only you can determine if you need flash, Better Glass or body upgrade.

"but I've kind of regretted buying my XS for a couple months now and wished I'd bought something... better? "

Can you be more forthcoming on why? What is not doing for you? Have you mastered the particulars for the camera you do have? And can point out the why it doesn't cut the bill for you? Do you have good glass? flash? As that expands the abilities of the photographer to get the shot.

But yep it seems you are still lacking in the Kit dept. A typical kit has flash, Good tripod setup. And generally we have upgraded from the kit lenses to something faster and gives better Image IQ. Example: I replaced my 18-55 slower variable f-stop kit lens with the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and my usability and Image IQ went up quite a bit. Also added to my kit for the needs and style of shooting I wanted to do. Like an ultra-wide 10-20 for landscapes,etc. Or a 50mm prime lens for indoors and lower light. A longer zoom for sports,wildlife,etc..

Would also recommend go slow and think about it more. Is it the shooter or equipment holding their ability to get the shot? And defining your needs is the first step not wants.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know what it's like to be completely hindered with terrible ISO. The D40 famously has better ISO than my camera. I don't blame you at all for wanting to upgrade. You have the 50mm f1.8 right? I would get a Canon 40D 1901B105AA Canon EOS-40D 10.1 Megapixels Digital SLR Camera Body

And then since you do portraits I'd get Canon 85mm f1.8 2519A003 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM AutoFocus Telephoto Lens - USA

And that should leave you some room for a couple vivitars and cheap wireless triggers if you just go over budget a little. One and triggers if you want to stay close to budget.

http://www.adorama.com/CA8518AFU.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W3IXZW/

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wait one year, husbands car will be paid off, use entire tax rebate on setup.

Nope, lol. My car is next year's tax return. :) I wish though! 8 grand on photog stuff?!? :lovey:

I know what it's like to be completely hindered with terrible ISO. The D40 famously has better ISO than my camera. I don't blame you at all for wanting to upgrade. You have the 50mm f1.8 right? I would get a Canon 40D 1901B105AA Canon EOS-40D 10.1 Megapixels Digital SLR Camera Body

And then since you do portraits I'd get Canon 85mm f1.8 2519A003 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM AutoFocus Telephoto Lens - USA

And that should leave you some room for a couple vivitars and cheap wireless triggers if you just go over budget a little. One and triggers if you want to stay close to budget.

2519A003 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM AutoFocus Telephoto Lens - USA

This sounds something like what I was thinking.

The ISO is really my main reasoning behind wanting to upgrade. The rebel doesn't handle noise poorly, it just doesn't handle it period IMO.

Can anyone say how the 40D does on noise?

Would also recommend go slow and think about it more. Is it the shooter or equipment holding their ability to get the shot? And defining your needs is the first step not wants.

I agree. It's hard for me to say that something is a need and not a want because (maybe it's me) sometimes I want it so bad that I feel like I need it. :lmao:

Do I feel like my camera is holding me back? Yes. I think that my photography inside sucks because of my lack of a OCF setup and the horrible high ISO handling.

I want to get OCF AND better high ISO handling. I wonder if I could get all that and stick with budget...

Everything I hear is about not handling iso, therefore you should get better lighting and quicker lens imo.

Nope, lol. My car is next year's tax return. :) I wish though! 8 grand on photog stuff?!? :lovey:

2519A003 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM AutoFocus Telephoto Lens - USA
This sounds something like what I was thinking.

The ISO is really my main reasoning behind wanting to upgrade. The rebel doesn't handle noise poorly, it just doesn't handle it period IMO.

Can anyone say how the 40D does on noise?

I agree. It's hard for me to say that something is a need and not a want because (maybe it's me) sometimes I want it so bad that I feel like I need it. :lmao:

Do I feel like my camera is holding me back? Yes. I think that my photography inside sucks because of my lack of a OCF setup and the horrible high ISO handling.

I want to get OCF AND better high ISO handling. I wonder if I could get all that and stick with budget...

If your intent on upgrading your body and you shoot mostly portraits i would get a 5Dmk1

That's not very helpful. :er:

Why its a brilliant camera
ISO 3200
497396159_6CyXU-L.jpg

The question is, are the noise levels on the cameras in your budget better enough at the ISO level you generally shoot to justify the money? If yes, upgrade your body.

A faster lens MIGHT help, but only when you shoot with that one lens. And I say might, cause it depends on how much faster you can get within your budget. I'm just not convinced that the "better glass" argument is always the answer when we're limited by a realistic budget.

Most reactions

Back