Equivalent exposure?

MaximS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've recently (this morning) bought a Nikon FE2 and took a few pictures earlier, using the sunny 16 rule. I was sitting here wondering about how equivalent exposure works but it seems I can't find any really helpful articles.

Since we're shooting with a constant ISO to get equivalent exposure wouldn't I just need to double the shutter speed every time I go a stop down? For example, if it was a sunny day and I was shooting at f/16 at 1/500 on a 400 iso film wouldn't I just go up to 1/1000 if I dropped down to f/11? Or is it more complex than that?

If anyone has a link to any threads or articles or can just provide a simple explanation that would be very helpful. Thank you.

EDIT: My bad, I just saw the equivalent exposure guide, you can remove this thread sorry.

Last edited:
It's that simple.

No need to remove the thread. It puts a simple thing very clearly. As Sparky says, it's that simple and there is no need for complexity.

I've recently (this morning) bought a Nikon FE2 and took a few pictures earlier, using the sunny 16 rule. I was sitting here wondering about how equivalent exposure works but it seems I can't find any really helpful articles.

Since we're shooting with a constant ISO to get equivalent exposure wouldn't I just need to double the shutter speed every time I go a stop down? For example, if it was a sunny day and I was shooting at f/16 at 1/500 on a 400 iso film wouldn't I just go up to 1/1000 if I dropped down to f/11? Or is it more complex than that?

If anyone has a link to any threads or articles or can just provide a simple explanation that would be very helpful. Thank you.

EDIT: My bad, I just saw the equivalent exposure guide, you can remove this thread sorry.
Google for "exposure reciprocity". You will find plenty of explanations.

Thanks guys, I actually wasn't familiar with the term exposure reciprocity so that's probably why I was having some trouble finding info.

That's it. It gets a but more complex when you start messing with the ASA/ISO.

Starting at 1/250, f/5.6 at ASA/ISO 400 and move it a stop up to 800, then the reciprocal adjustment would be either 1/500 @ f/5.6 or f/8 @ 1/250. (Then you would have to also adjust your development to compensate for the move from 400 to 800.)

Some examples:
If you're at 1/250, f/5.6, ASA/ISO 400 and adjust your ASA/ISO to 1600 (two stops), then the adjustments would be 1/1000 @ f/5.6, 1/250 @ f/11, 1/500 @ f/8, 1/500 @ f/8.

A stop is a stop no matter where you get it.

Ah I see, not too complicated with a constant ISO on film but I'd probably have to start carrying notes if I went digital haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back