Err, what name should I go by as a photog?

Ghoste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok so this is just more of a random question then a need to know question. My name is Brandon Michael Wright, and just kinda wondering as I start going into wedding photography and what not, what I should go by. It hasn't been a big deal as an assistant photographer and just messing around, but now I'm kinda wondering. Brandon Wright Photography would make the most sense. Just sounds wierd to me. I was actually thinking maybe Bright Photography as a compact version of my name. Anyways, I'm tired as all get out and I doubt anything I just said made sense. So off to sleep, then an 8 hour shoot tomorrow. It's a wedding at a house. So much better! Easier to eat more too ;)

BMW is trademarked, yes; however, since a photography business is clearly unrelated to Bayerische Motoren Werke, so I wouldn't think it's a problem. If it's an issue, try BM Wright, or Brandon M Wright, or some similar version. Ask a patent attorney; they're trained for this kinda stuff.

I thought it was weird to used my name too when I started but you get used to it and just Brandon Wright Photography is the clearest, simplest, and easiest to recognize and relay to friends.

i, too went the 'my name' direction. it was simple, and that's what i was going for. I was definitely not into the 'Beautiful Memories Photography' type warm-and-fuzzy names...I wanted to present myself as a business. There are benefits of not using your name, but they aren't considerable to me at this point. I think using your name would be good, although Bright Photography is nice. Heck, Wright Photography would work well too. It's easier to identify a photographer by a name than by some gimmick. Because then the client would be obliged to remember both.

Hi there,
BMW photography is a big NO ! You would be using a trademark (probably world wide) as part of your name which might cause more legal trouble than copyright issues.

Also it is misleading and hard to do a sensible web-search for if people are trying to find you on the internet.

Similarly, I personally would not encourage "Bright Photography" as is certainly a brilliant wordplay but it is probably far from being unique and distinctive. And I suppose you need something distinctive to stand out from all the others. Just a personal thought from someone with no experience in that field whatsoever ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back