error 99 - canon

Abstract

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have started to get an error 99 message on my 350D when I try to use my sigma 400mm lens does anyone know what this error means and can I get it fixed? cheers for your help.

Does it happen all the time with that lens?

If so, you might need to re-chip the lens. I think that Sigma may do this for little or no charge, or at least they used to.

If it happens sporadically, it might be the electronic lens contacts. Give them a good cleaning (look it up).

according to the manual:
An error other than the one above occurred.
Remove and re-install the battery.
This error may occur if you use a non-Canon lens and the camera or lens does not operate properly as a result.

Dont know how to fix that though

Error 99 is what your camera will give if none of its other error codes are appropriate, like a catch all statement, very none specific. However it seems to be a common issue with sigma lenses. Try googling "sigma error 99"

Edit: It seems I neeed to be quicker with my posts, you guys beat me to it while I was typing :)

it started off occasionally but now is constant. Will contact sigma and see if they can fix it, thanks.

aparently it would need chipping but the chips are no longer available :(

Abstract said:
I have started to get an error 99 message on my 350D when I try to use my sigma 400mm lens does anyone know what this error means and can I get it fixed? cheers for your help.

ITs a nother no compatable lense but some times if you clean the contacts it will work if its desprate thats the only solution

There was another company that chiped them at one point ill c if i can find them for you

Most reactions

Back