Essential accessories?

Notice I said "Top of MY list" ;)

I've got two of these...great strap...and has a TPF logo to boot
http://www.thephotoforum.com/tpfstraps/index.html

I have one of those, but without the logo. I got it when I got my d70.. I like the way it feels, but I found it just too big for my tastes (and smaller camera bag). I had avoided using the Nikon strap because of the super bright yellow logos, but recently put it on, blacked out the logos with markers and I actually like it better than the Op/Tech strap.

just my opinion..

Unless you're going to be shooting at a distance, a good flash is essential. Not only for night (Slow synch!) but also to provide fill flash.

If you are new to photography ...

I assume your DSLR kit will come with a lens of some kind, strap, battery, charger, and most likely a 1mb card.

First thing is to get a bigger card, or two - I would go with 2mb or 4mb. I think 4mb is the best value.

You will also want another battery. Do not know about Nikon - batteries from Canon are 4-5 more expensive then generics. Check out "SterlingTek", or you can get even cheaper on EBay (not sure about Ebay quality though).

Last item to start (for me) is a carrying bag. You can get something inexpensive until you decide if you want to sink more money into lens and other stuff, or if you are going to keep on auto.

I also got Photoshop Element. But I think Canon comes with photo edit software. I only installed the one that allowed me to edit RAW so do not remember what else was on CD - other stuff I do in Element.

Something I learnt ... shoot at the max size/quality that your camera allow. This is why you have 2-3 cards :)

Thank you very much for all the input.

I won't be getting a kit. I'm only going to the shop to hold the cameras to see how they feel in my hands as most of you recommended. I won't be buying from the store, I'll be getting one through a friend who works at Canon and get employee discounts for refurbished camera and lenses.

First thing is to get a bigger card, or two - I would go with 2mb or 4mb. I think 4mb is the best value.
You mean 2GB or 4GB. I don't think anybody makes 2MB or 4MB cards anyway. :wink: I already have a few 8GB CF cards so that's covered (you get to collect these things when you are in IT), and I have Photoshop CS3, although I need to learn how to use it first. But that's not my priority. I want to spend my measly few hours of week of leisure time in taking pictures than editing in the beginning.

I might order the TPF strap, but I'm not sure about the logo. :lmao:

Now I go google circular polarizer!

Thank again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back