Ethical question? re: boudoir & retouching

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently shot a boudoir session that I am oh so proud of. I got the chance to work with an old friend, pushed boundaries further than ever before and got some great results.

I aam at the editing phase. I have noticed that one of the subject's breasts is noticeably larger than the other. Am I within ethical bounds to make them more symmetrical?

For what it's worth, we did discuss editing style during the shoot, (although we didn't broach retouching), she said not to worry and that she trusts my eye.

All thoughts and opinions welcome :)

Good to be here again.

Generally, the only genre retouching/manipulation is not only frowned upon but is actually prohibited, is journalism. All else is pretty much fair game. Manipulate to your own ethical rules.

Can you ask her? Most people are aware of their body "issues" and as long as it's approached with some sensitivity, will be okay. That said, if you don't feel comfortable asking, then I would go with some adjustment, but maybe not complete.

One side of the body being larger than the other is both natural and normal - I would leave well alone.

First of all, that sort of thing is pretty normal. I would only liquify on that if you feel it is an issue with the photo.

Second, it's fair game (and actually expected) for most boudoir work. The subjects WANT you to make them look thinner, younger, sexier (through your lighting, posing and finally, your post-production technique).

Finally, this is a friend. So when it's a TF situation or a friend or someone that is more than just a client, it's usually good to discuss "what can I edit/change?" Now, since she said "I trust your eye"...what you might do are two versions of the photo (one, real sizing, the second, resized). Not b/c that is expected of you. But b/c this is a friend AND you can probably learn from this. You may show it to her, you both look at it and go "nah, let's go with real, not resized") and that will be a lesson for boudoir work.

It depends on you. Are you an artist with your own artistic vision or are you just there to capture something as realistically as possible? I do a lot of editing work, but they are just to enhance the person's existing form, not to create something completely different. Most of my clients don't notice what I did since it's very minimal.

Unpopular I think your donkey needs new glasses - this thread is only 2 days old. So lets refocus on the main topic of the thread in a respectful manner.

Why men should steer clear of the boudoir.

Hmmm...interesting. You first posted a one-line response "why men should steer clear of the boudoir" which was right after mine and after you marked "disagree" to my post. You then posted that a thread that was started about 24 hours ago (now, about 48) from a long-time member who's reasonably active here on TPF is a "zombie thread." Care to explain why you feel my post was so wrong?

Yep, many women feel more comfortable posing in lingerie or nude for a female photographer. But that's not true in all cases and there are plenty instances of male photographers who do lovely boudoir work.

Is it that you disagree with my statement that many women have breasts that are not exactly the same size or shape--that they can vary? Or that in most boudoir work, the client wants the photographer to enhance their appearance? Or was it my statement that in any kind of TF work with a friend, you may want to have a discussion with them about what direction you go, or provide them an A and a B version in some instances?

And just for the sake of clarity, when I refer to "boudoir" I'm talking about a type of photography that isn't just a woman in lingerie (that could easily be a catalog shoot or glamour or pinup depending upon the poses, the lighting, and the expressions). When I refer to boudoir, I'm referring to a type/style of photography that usually involves soft lighting, often (but not always) a narrow DoF, a very romantic or sexy feel to the photography, usually in a bedroom or dressing room (though not always).

Sorry guys. I thought I saw this post in the past and must have misread the "join date" with the post "date". Weird how that is.

I'll get my eyes checked.

I also assumed that the content of the message was one thing when it was in fact the other previous thread I assumed it was. I'll delete my mistaken posts so not to derail.

Sorry guys. You know what they say about people who assume, right?

Is it at least partly the way she's posed in one or some? or noticeable in all? I'd probably do more than one edit of several photos and let her pick what she likes.

Is it at least partly the way she's posed in one or some? or noticeable in all? I'd probably do more than one edit of several photos and let her pick what she likes.

The pose and angle definitely the issue with this one photo. It's the only straight on shot we did (angled wouldn't have worked for this image) so it's really the only one with "the problem" - in quotes because asymmetry is natural, not a problem.

I like the idea of doing multiple edits and seeing what she likes.

This is just one shot of many that will be made into a book, but it's a really cool effing shot. Too much bewbs to post lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back