Ethics of shooting random people

I posted a thread last night in the equipment forum about a right angle spy lens. Sure would solve alot of problems with folks feeling uncomfortable about having the lens pointed at them. But I have never used one and dont know how well they work, if at all.
And btw, I am not selling this item nor do I know who is. Just happened to see it on ebay looking for FZ50 goodies.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Spy-Right-Angle...QQihZ013QQcategoryZ116191QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
megapaws Mentioned shooting from the hip. That is a good way for a shy person to not be noticed. Another way is to use a 90 degree spy lens. These work best with telephoto lenses as wide angle and standard focal lenth lenses will viginette. The best way to use these attachments is to point the camera toward the ground. You then can take pictures of what in front of you without being noticed. Noone pays much attension to the person looking down and fiddlin' with their camera.

Interesting subject. I've quite often wanted to take some snaps, but haven't as they were the sort of situation where it would be obvious, I'd have needed to ask, and ended up not.

Most recently in a little coffee shop, and this tiny old lady with the most amazing old face was sat, with her little coffee and cake, perfectly laid out in front of her, looking every bit like she was straight out of a David Lynch movie.

Next time!

I mentioned the dual-meaning title of this thread weeks ago, when it was started, and I agree.

But it also brings up another point: Photography during a live, breaking news event. My instinct tells me that if I was unfortunate to be near something similar to the tragedy that happened today, I'd probably just run, but assuming I had my camera with me, would I be compelled to take pictures?

Yes, I would... but would all of us? Would we want to look at them?

It reminds me of the terrible yet powerful photograph where a recently shot protester lies dead on the ground while a fellow picketer (and a teenage runaway I believe) lets out a cry of anguish towards whomever shot her friend... what was going through this photogs head, or was it purely instinct?

Regardless, I truly hope that none of us knew anyone who was involved in the seemingly senseless slaughter today, and that those that believe in prayer, please do so for the families of the many killed today (over 21).

Now this is something That really irks me. I don't like people shooting me for no reason..

Tough subject. Personally I have developed a subconscious nack for making places look deserted, either by framing or timing. Recently when reviewing shots from my trip to Florida people commented how empty the parks looked, when in fact I was there for a fortnight through Spring break of all times, and they were packed.

I did have a rather unpleasant incident shooting on the street however. I was in the middle of Chester on a gorgeous sunny weekend (a rare enough thing in Britain of course) and the streets were packed, the energy and buzz amongst the age old buildings just compelled me to capture it.
After I took one shot, down a street with a slightly overhead perspective, this group of youths accosted me, shouting and swearing, started threatening me and trying to nick my camera, calling me a pervert accusing me of taking photos of kids (them).
Despite my protests and explanations the grief and hassle it attracted really shook me up. Had I not been photographing I would not have attracted their attention, but it also put me on my back foot when they did accost me, instead of being indignant and taking charge of the situation I started off defensive and was made to feel like I was doing something fundamentally wrong.

Obviously this is more about their reaction than the ethics of the picture I was taking (of which they were not the subject and as I later noticed, barely in shot), but of how negative the attention you can receive as a photographer is.
Before this I didn't have any reservations about photographing in public, but since I have always thought twice before pressing that shutter release.

I shoot people in nightclubs all the time, when are drunk or sober, dancing or kissing (or worse).... people LOVE to be taken in pictures as long as they feel you are one of 'them'.
So I make sure I show I enjoy the music and the crowd and I melt into the motion and become transparent. Even my flash disappears with the clubs lights :)

Well what I'm doing is very unofficial. I'm just an 18 year old college kid, I sort of know what I'm doing. I produce some stuff that looks pretty cool (imo of course) but I'm sure I'm breaking all sorts of technical rules.

So if your photograhps are for sale in a gallery but just a single print, does that count as commercial? Would I have to get a release for that?

So basically the consensus is that I should shoot people if I want to and dont worry about it, but if they ask or notice me I should talk to them?

Really interesting to hear people's philosophy on this, thanks. Look for some pics in the critique thread soon, this seems like a great place and the imput is awesome.

There have been a lot of good suggestion here. I shoot in the streets a lot. And I used to be a photo journalist for a major market newspaper(s). All my suggestions relate to US law.

My first recommendation is to look professional. When I street shoot I always wear long pants and a a nice shirt (not necessarily a starched and ironed affair but better than a T-shirt with an obscene statement). Behave like a professional, pretend you are a news photog on assignment. Have cards printed ... if you have a web site make sure the site is on the card.

In the US, everybody has a right to privacy, but you give up that right the moment you step out of your front door. If they're in public they are fair game (there are exceptions some increase and some decrease from the above statement.)

NEVER chase a person for a shot.

You can stalk ... if the subject is very interesting ... but not for more than a minute or two then move on.

Don't worry about model releases ... you only need them if you commercially use the photo. Which means for advertising or stock photos. You can use the photos for yourself. You can even publish a book (art book) of your street candids without model releases from your subjects.

You cannot misrepresent your subject nor can you make negative /untrue statements in any associated text.

For me I have developed a sixth sense about street photos ... typically I shoot first and ask questions later. What happens if you ask permission first ... all/most of the elements which made the photo interesting tend to vanish ... the candidness is gone. So for moi, it's shoot and walk... shoot and walk. After a while you'll know who you can talk too and who you should avoid ... a business card goes a long way.

Don't shoot the down-and-out just because they're there. Be sensitive to their plight and way of life and shoot in a manner that has some depth.

I have found that being above board, out in the open, not hiding my cameras gets me a better reception amongst more people than being sneaky about the whole thing. Like most things in photography and in life ... the more you do the better you will become.

Gary

PS- Some Links to my Street Shots
Downtown LA / Broadway Street Shots from the '70s
^ before auto anything

Downtown LA / Broadway Street Shots Today

Some Hollywood Stuff

G

Most reactions

Back