Ethics question

radiorickm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so here is my ethics question...

I buy some software, Superphoto Version 1. Install it on my desktop. Life is good.
Now, Superphoto Version 2 comes along, with a "upgrade" special. Buy it legally, life is good.

Now, can I put Version 1 on my laptop, or is it still attached to the desktop? Ethically can I use version 1 (on a different computer) if I upgrade it?

Hmmmm.

Ok, so here is my ethics question...

I buy some software, Superphoto Version 1. Install it on my desktop. Life is good.
Now, Superphoto Version 2 comes along, with a "upgrade" special. Buy it legally, life is good.

Now, can I put Version 1 on my laptop, or is it still attached to the desktop? Ethically can I use version 1 (on a different computer) if I upgrade it?

Hmmmm.
Did you bother to read the Licensing agreement? What does it say?

Honestly I can't see a reason why not. In fact many software licence agreements allow you to use software on more than one machine for personal use (some will tie to a specific machine, however if you uninstall it from one and install it to the other that should clear its attachment).

Ethically speaking you're still just the one user making use of the software. The best answer will be buried in the User licence agreement, but in general I'd honestly not expect off the shelf commercial software to tie to a single machine and give you no option to remove it and install it to another.

Usually the license will say how many users can use it and how many machines it can be installed on.

If you deviate from that, then you are breaking the license agreement. Is that unethical? I would say it depends. I don't think there is a cut and dry yes or no answer. But I do think that you yourself should know the answer. You know if your behavior is ethical or not. You should, anyway.

Last edited:
Ethically most software licensing agreements are unethical, if you Buy something then it should be yours to do with as you please.

What passes for a licensing agreement these days is actually an open-ended lease.

There's also the definition of "upgrade" to consider.
If the "upgrade" can be installed and used without the previous "full" version being installed first, then you own 2 "full" versions which could (should?) be considered separate licenses.
If you need version #1 installed first in order to install and use the upgrade to version #2, then you likely only own a single license which includes upgrades for a stated period of time.

My 2 cents.

Ethically most software licensing agreements are unethical, if you Buy something then it should be yours to do with as you please.

What passes for a licensing agreement these days is actually an open-ended lease.

Isn't that what a lot of people think about photographs? They would be wrong

Sage advise from a wise ole country boy....

“You’re Fixin’ To Mess Up”

“Just recently I had the privilege of doing a show at Samford University in Birmingham, [Alabama]. Some of the young people there said, ‘Mr. Clower, what’s right and wrong?’ Tell us, we’re young people, tell us, what’s right and wrong.

Well you ask a pretty good question. So I worked me up a rule of thumb I’d like to recommend to my own children, and to young people.

If you’re fixin’ to make a decision about what’s right and what’s wrong in your life, do you ask other people’s opinion about it? That’s a pretty good indication your fixin’ to mess up. I was getting ready for a date one night when I was a little ole boy. And I walked into the side room and I said, ‘Mama, is my shirt dirty?’ She said, ‘Son, if you’re in doubt, it’s dirty. Pull it off and getcha another.’ So if you’re fixin’ to do something, and you want to know if it’s right or not, number one: do you ask other people’s opinion about it?

Number two: do you argue with yourself? Man, I have spent a million mile on the highway arguing with Jerry about I oughta do a certain thing and I knew in my heart, I was lying. So if you’re arguin’ with yourself, pretty good indication you should not do it.

Number three: do you feel uneasy when you do it? Had ya just as soon for somebody not see you doin’ what it is you’d done decided is alright for you to do?

And Number four: Can you give thanks and say ‘Lord, I thank ya for providing this for me.’? Alright, you’d done made up your mind: you’re gonna do it. The Bible says, give thanks for all things. So when you do it, can ya say ‘Lord, thank ya for providing this for me. And I some kinda thank ya, for fixin’ it where I can commit to what it is I’m doin.’?

What is right or wrong?, Do you ask other people?, Do you aruge with yourself?, Do you feel uneasy when you do it?, Can ya give thanks and say ‘Lord, I thank ya for providing this for me.’? If you can’t, you better watch out…You’re fixin’ to mess up.”

Jerry Clower1926-1998

Most reactions

Back