Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've realized that there are several potentially large and potentially lucrative markets that I could exploit, but I'm in a dilemma about how, or even if to attempt the exploitation.

Background: As some of you know, I do a LOT of work with the Wounded Warriors here, as well as a couple of other major charities. Through that, I have met a number of fairly senior people within the sponsoring organizations; one being a large regional coffee shop chain, a major car dealership, as well as some politicians, and a few others. We're not talking Mark Cuban or Jim Pattison, but they're not insignificant either.

What these groups have in common is either poor or no good business photography; staff boards, advertising, etc. I think there's a dollar or two to be made and I know that I can give them a far superior product to that which they already have (if they have anything at all), BUT... I am hesitant to approach them, since I only have their contact information through what I consider a privileged connection.

So... would you:

(a) Just call them up and make the pitch;

(b) apply through "normal" channels; or

(c) just skip it altogether?

Combination of A and B. Call them up / or preferably when you have another reason to talk meet them. Mention "I was interested in doing some photos... for your company... I was just wondering if you could give me the name of the person I could contact.." Something along the lines that lets' them off easily if they feel they don't want to make a favor beyond giving you contact info. They can just give you the name. The ones who will help you out further (present you to whoever makes the decisions and then offer up their reference) will step up to the plate. Some people / companies always make people go through the proper channels, others are greatly influenced by being personally introduced. Essentially asking for B but with possibility of getting A by pitching to them if they ask.

Combination of A and B. Call them up / or preferably when you have another reason to talk meet them. Mention "I was interested in doing some photos... for your company... I was just wondering if you could give me the name of the person I could contact.." Something along the lines that lets' them off easily if they feel they don't want to make a favor beyond giving you contact info. They can just give you the name. The ones who will help you out further (present you to whoever makes the decisions and then offer up their reference) will step up to the plate. Some people / companies always make people go through the proper channels, others are greatly influenced by being personally introduced. Essentially asking for B but with possibility of getting A by pitching to them if they ask.

I completely agree with this. I also don't see it as exploiting. You can provide MUCH better pictures for their benefit. Your heart is in a good place.

A - Just be clear about where you got to know them (if they don't know already).

I would wait until either I have a stronger relationship with them (assuming that the relationship is still on the newish side. A stronger region ship = more trust in you, your ability and your opinion.

Or if there is little chance/opportunity of that happening ... Then toss all regard into the wind and make a pitch.

Remember that if they are successful without 'good' photography ... Then, why would they care to spend good money in an area which they may not need? Additionally, at best, if they appreciate your talent and what you've done on a common cause, they'll have you contact one of their minions who handles advertising/PR/marketing. If the subordinate isn't using pro level photography ... You'll need to convince them otherwise ... You need to convince them that pro level images will create a stir and generate far more monies than it costs. And what is typical with any minion, they feel a need to protect the boss and then will seek out other pro photogs and vet out who will deliver the most cluck for the buck.

Basically, good luck to you, something about a snowball's chance in hell comes to mind ... But, there may be an opportunity and by doing nothing there will certainly be no return. By acting, at least you have a chance, granted a slim chance, but a chance nonetheless.

I agree with ClickAddict. It leaves the door open for them to do more than provide a contact but doesn't imply you are directly looking for a favour.

I admit to being dense, but how are a and b different, exactly? And no, don't skip it, so c is right out.

Yes, go for it. Even if you get one major client, that has the potential to spill over into another client when they see what you can do. I see this as being somewhat of a consultant/photographer where you go through the complete advertising material, all the corporate material, and anything else they use photography for, and show them what can be improved and how you would do it.

I'm not seeing any breach of traditional ethics here.

Thanks!

See the problem is, in the case of the two largest companies, I the owners/CEOs and have their personal e-mail addresses and I know if I e-mail them directly they will see the e-mail....

A - Just be clear about where you got to know them (if they don't know already).
Thanks - they know.

I would wait until either I have a stronger relationship with them (assuming that the relationship is still on the newish side. A stronger region ship = more trust in you, your ability and your opinion.

Or if there is little chance/opportunity of that happening ... Then toss all regard into the wind and make a pitch.

Remember that if they are successful without 'good' photography ... Then, why would they care to spend good money in an area which they may not need? Additionally, at best, if they appreciate your talent and what you've done on a common cause, they'll have you contact one of their minions who handles advertising/PR/marketing. If the subordinate isn't using pro level photography ... You'll need to convince them otherwise ... You need to convince them that pro level images will create a stir and generate far more monies than it costs. And what is typical with any minion, they feel a need to protect the boss and then will seek out other pro photogs and vet out who will deliver the most cluck for the buck.

Basically, good luck to you, something about a snowball's chance in hell comes to mind ... But, there may be an opportunity and by doing nothing there will certainly be no return. By acting, at least you have a chance, granted a slim chance, but a chance nonetheless.
Thanks Gary - valid points. Our relationship is established; I've been working with them regularly for three years. I don't think that my images will necessarily bring in more money, but they would give a better impression than the current "My kid just a got a camera, I think I'll get him to take some shots for the store..." quality images they currently use.

I agree with ClickAddict. It leaves the door open for them to do more than provide a contact but doesn't imply you are directly looking for a favour.
Thanks Alex!

I admit to being dense, but how are a and b different, exactly? And no, don't skip it, so c is right out.

Yes, go for it. Even if you get one major client, that has the potential to spill over into another client when they see what you can do. I see this as being somewhat of a consultant/photographer where you go through the complete advertising material, all the corporate material, and anything else they use photography for, and show them what can be improved and how you would do it.

I'm not seeing any breach of traditional ethics here.
Sorry, to clarify: In A I meant call the head honchos directly; I have their names, numbers & e-mails. They take my calls. B is simply using the generic company contact information on their website.

If you want to do it you will, and are looking for someone to say go for it.
Well, go for it then.
Have them over to your house for dinner one night, and have a lot of your best photos framed on the walls within sight. They may ask if you took all these... there's an opening.
They may not and you can casually mention you'd like the opportunity to do some work that you think could help the corporate image they (their company) are (is) projecting. and then mention the photos on the wall as examples...

Or use the plan you have already thought of. :)
Good luck.

Sorry, to clarify: In A I meant call the head honchos directly; I have their names, numbers & e-mails. They take my calls. B is simply using the generic company contact information on their website.
"All is fair in love and war" So if you've got an advantage, you should use it. This, to me, is not crossing any ethical boundaries. Just thank your lucky stars or however you express thanks for your good fortune, but I think you will know when there is an ethical line that you should not cross. Besides; think of the connections as your Karmic payback for doing the pro bono work that you do.

I say A. You do work for them now so you know going in how much they'll pay for professional pictures. As most everyone knows, these days it really comes down to money. I sure they would like nice images at a discount or free.

I dont know if its an accurate quote but someone told me Richard Branson said something along the likes of charity makes good business and he always expected to get more out of charity (in some form) than he put in.

If you are uncertain you could test the water by saying in passing conversation that you had been working with some business to clear up their presentation issues and how successful it had been - see if anyone asks for more info.

You could also keep an eye out for other 'trading' going on among the doners etc. You could also try as a sweetener that every photo shoot you do, you will give a small donation to the general cause. Then it will look as if you are also doing this for the charity as well as for business.

It's called networking. If you were in the market for a car would you avoid the auto dealer. Hand them your card, make it known the business you are in and back off. If they show interest in talking further they'll let you know. If not let it go. Even if they aren't, there is still a good possibility they might mention you to someone else.That's why networking is so important to business people.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back