Evaluation, Please

ceeboy14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For overall tonal control, selective sharpness and overall color.

$9501954279_395c9feaaf_o.jpg

More midtone contrast and raise midtone brightness. Nice shot.

Joe

Opened midtones and played with the sand a little to give more character to the light and dark tones.

$9505242566_64ac978a84_o.jpg

Hey there,

to me, it just looks flat. There is nothing in it that makes it "pop" or zing.

The two issues I see are the deep shadows on the near side of the rocks, and the reflections of the water blending in to the horizon. A polarizing filter would have helped a LOT, as would a G-ND. It's a nice shot, but as mentioned, lacks any real 'punch'.

I would have killed for a CPL...grabbed two before I left and they were the two wrong sizes for the two lenses I had with me...I had the GND with me but didn't want the sky to go too dark...probably a good reason to get a .3 as well. The deep shadows don't register the same way in the original image so wonder if this is another jpeg compression issue.

When in doubt...
$rocks5.jpg

Gone there already, runnah...may have to redo the color version as I think there is still a good image in there.

Here's what I was thinking on how to make the best of the shot. Just my Opinion is all..

PS out the rocks on the top right as they were just sticking out. I would have cloned out the stuff in the bottom right but, again, just my opinion.
Cropped the picture to give you more of a diagonal with the rocks.

Overall
Temp +12
Exposure +52
Highlights +57
Shadows +48
Whites -21
Blacks -5
Clarity +21

Grad Filter
From the top to the top of the 2nd rock on the bottom
Exposure -57 to bring out more blue in the sky
Contrast +64
Clarity -52 (softened the light off of the water)
Saturation +40

Brush for just the 3 rocks in the bottom
Exoposure +48
Contrast -7
Highlights -10
Shadows +7

Attachments

• $Ceeboy.jpg
    $Ceeboy.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 78
Here's what I was thinking on how to make the best of the shot. Just my Opinion is all..

PS out the rocks on the top right as they were just sticking out. I would have cloned out the stuff in the bottom right but, again, just my opinion.
Cropped the picture to give you more of a diagonal with the rocks.

Overall
Temp +12
Exposure +52
Highlights +57
Shadows +48
Whites -21
Blacks -5
Clarity +21

Grad Filter
From the top to the top of the 2nd rock on the bottom
Exposure -57 to bring out more blue in the sky
Contrast +64
Clarity -52 (softened the light off of the water)
Saturation +40

Brush for just the 3 rocks in the bottom
Exoposure +48
Contrast -7
Highlights -10
Shadows +7

I think your crop works better and as is would also clone out the logs. The rocks are somewhere between mine and yours. I did the sky a different way and think yours is too blue but again, there's a happy medium in there somewhere. I'm still working on finding that happy place. Nice edit, Thanks for taking the time.

I am not sure why landscape photographers shoot early in the morning or sunset. Rotanimod.. chime in?

I've found myself not even bothering unless its right at dawn or dusk.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back