Even more zoo shots

Tolyk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, took some more shots, haven't figured out how to hot-link on Deviant art yet, so here's some normal links:

Quacker (I like the composition and reflection in this one)

Fat Gopher, Take 2 (This one's just for fun)

Red panda, being sneaky (I love the colours and composition here)

All the exif data is posted there I suppose, but if you want more exif, I can tell ya :) Critiques are welcome and encouraged

"Fat Gopher" makes me chuckle....it looks like it was under the hairdryer a little too long. My fave is the Quacker shot...nice placement of the duck in the shot, and I like the reflection and ripples in the water.

Ahahaha... wow that is a FAT GOPHER! The ones here are anorexic!

The red panda is so cute, :) nice photos

Thanks guys! :) I'm glad everyone likes the fat gopher as much as I :D

I too love the fat gopher. Some things will make anyone smile!

I don't think I'm going to bother posting any more photos to this site. I ask for critique every time and I never get it. I can get, "I like it" from anywhere on the net.

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I do appreciate it, I really do. I just want to grow as a photographer and I need more. I know wildlife photographers look down on zoo shots, but I really try to hide any evidence of my photos being taken at a zoo. I mean, there's no bars or hints of "zoo-ness", and it's excellent practice for when I can't actually get out into the wild. Anyway, no more photos.

I know what you mean about not getting critique. I'm having the same problem with the photos I've posted.

So, here goes my two cents... I like #1. I'm not crazy about #2, but it is a fun shot. I think the head and especially the eyes seem a bit soft. #3 does have beautiful colors and the panda is nice and sharp, but that branch in front of him really takes away from the picture. I would like to have been able to see his nose and head more clearly.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Nothing wrong with shooting zoos to practice and stay sharp. I think you've done a good job keeping the zoo out of your pictures.

I don't think I'm going to bother posting any more photos to this site. I ask for critique every time and I never get it. I can get, "I like it" from anywhere on the net.

Welcome to the internet :)
Getting good crits is a matter of tricks, luck and attitude.

1) don't post photos at weekends - everybody does it and the result is images get swamped out - plus people are not as likley to comment on such days either

2) never post links - links are hardly ever followed - most people are lazy - so use image tags to show the images direct

3) Have aread of the first post in this thread:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/feedback-suggestions/162889-pro-critique-suggestion.html
even though nothing has (as yet) come of that idea the basic posting method is solid and its a form of communication - its saying that you are serious, you do know your ISO from your aperture and that your already taking a critical eye to your own work. Such is far more likley to attract you good constructive advice - and further even if you don't get any the writing down of your own thoughts will help you no end

4) remain posetive - polite and good natured - that always helps :)

As for your images I shall say this - firstly most people that shoot in the wild have no problems at all with zoo shots - many have done or still do extensive zoo shooting and it comes with its own risks and skills (avoiding bars, human elements and reflctions from glass) so its in no way a lesser skill. Further many accept that we can't all tour the world to find tigers and lions - nor that if we get there that we will be lucky (and skillful) enough to see them so zoos provide a vision that some people are just not able to get in the wild.

Now as for your images:

1) Quacker - you have captured a nice reflection in the shot - but your shot looks pedestrian - that is to say its the view that a passerby would ordinarily see when looking at the duck - make your viewer look at the duck or even up to the duck -- that means get down low - as low as you can - and then shoot. That way your giving a different angle to things and that addes a lot of interest.
A very good point is that you have left space in the direction the duck is heading - this is always important and really helps since we naturally follow the direction of movement or gaze of an animal in a shot - if we are then rapidly met with the edge of the frame it feels tight.

2) Fat Gopher - you got down low and made us look at him :thumbup:
However your focus is slightly off the eyes - the eyes of an animal (or a human for that matter) are what we go for in a shot - everything else can be out of focus, but if the eyes are in focus it normally works - however if the eyes are out the shot tends to fail. In this shot we can see that the focus has caught him right in the belly - sometimes a smaller aperture can help since the depth of field is greater so even if you miss the eyey they might still be caught, but it also introduces problems of their own also (slower shutter speeds/higher ISOs and also reduced background blur changes

3) Panda - great angle - empty frame in the direction of movement - however the thing that stands out to me here is something that has affected most of your shots here but stands out more this time, and that is the whites being blown out (overexposed). This can often happen in bright weather as the meter gets tricked - so a safe way is to use exposure compensation or underexpose (use a faster shutter speed) so that the highlights are less likley to be blown out. One can also combine this with fillflash so that darker areas do not end up too dark.

Overall you have some good shots there - some problems to work out, but nothing too problematic and you seem to be developing a good eye for composition. Keep at it! :)

Most reactions

Back