Evening in Alamos, Mexico

thereyougo!

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like #4!

Latin America where security can be a little hairy...
Depends on where you're going in each country. Tourist traps are bound to have other travelers with similar equipment which provides some "security".

I'm going to Ecuador in a few weeks (traveling the whole country, except Galapagos), and I'm still planning on taking some of my equipment. It'll just be like any other area when traveling. You have to be smart about it. You seem to travel a lot, so I think you'll be ok. Don't walk around with it hanging around your neck, keep it out of sight when not using it, keep an eye on your bags, etc.

For me, this is no different than when I'm in NYC or DC or any other place here in the States.

I was in Ciudad Juarez a couple of years ago and in San Salvador 14 months ago. Have future possible plans for Ecuador and Panama at some point too. I used a Panasonic long zoom small sensor with RAW capability last time, decided to get something with a larger sensor. This one will fit in a jacket pocket. You're correct of course about using common sense at all times.

I have my Panasonic Z1000 with me for longer shots, but even though the Panny has a 1inch sensor, the Sony A6000 handles higher ISO much better. It was being admired by a friendly Mexican soldier on Mirador where these were taken. I could have brought my A7RII but I think my big Pentax would have attracted too much attention.

I trust your gear is insured. I have mine insured 24/7 anywhere in the world, all perils, for replacement cost. While I do worry about things happening to it, if something untoward happens, at least I can get it replaced, and yes, I do carry a backup camera, just in case. I mean if someone wants my gear, there really isn't anyway to stop them from taking it, but as you indicated, I do not try and attract attention, so I try to look like any other tourist with a backpack and a camera.

The first two of your images are my favourites out of this set. :thumbyo:

WesternGuy

Oddly, my two favorites were the more close-in cityscapes, or the last two images!

I like #2! The clouds look a bit like mountains themselves, making for some nice layering to the image.

I think I like the powerlines in #2, but that could just be for want of a foreground subject. The cityscapes have a bit too much going on for my taste, but they do make for an interesting shot.

Most reactions

Back