Event Photography HELP!?

ok... Thanks again everyone. I will have to practice this fancy 'flash in one hand, camera in the other' thing! I use back button focusing so that maybe hard, might have to switch it back to shutter for the night?

This is a FRIEND of a friend so I don't even know the girl... Not sure I want to do it for free, it is 5 hours of my time (and as a mum that's precious), petrol to get there etc! Perhaps just charge for my time? and of course give her all the images. I dunno... she would either get me (for cheap as chips!) or pay an already established photographer that would charge her an arm and a leg! hmmmmm.

I have the plastic cap diffuser for my speedlight which I will definitley use. I also have a strap on softbox thingy which looks ridiculous and its a bit bulky but would that be BETTER than the wee plastic cap diffuser?

Thanks again, i'm going to practice now...

O.K so talking with her... she wants "photobooth" type shoots at the start when people arrive then just candids throughout the night. Sooooo to create that 'photobooth' look I guess i'll need to bring my lights/softboxes/backdrops won't I :(. What is the best setup for this? I use paper rolls (as backdrops) at home but transporting that and setting it up is going to be a pain in the ass right?!?!? What kind of material could I get to hang instead? colour? do I go for the curtain look all kinda ruffled or try to get a flat creaseless piece of fabric? HELP... I feel like all the gear that I will have to bring and be setting up is a lot of effort? Or is this just what people do?... (yep never done any paid work I'll just remind you again)
smile.png
How easy is it to set up a 2 light/softbox setup with a massive backdrop?... it takes up so much room! I'll have to make sure she has the space too right?

Oh yeah and as for lenses... I have either a 50mm 1.8 OR a kit lens 18-105mm which one? Thanks

O.K so talking with her... she wants "photobooth" type shoots at the start when people arrive then just candids throughout the night. Sooooo to create that 'photobooth' look I guess i'll need to bring my lights/softboxes/backdrops won't I :(. What is the best setup for this? I use paper rolls (as backdrops) at home but transporting that and setting it up is going to be a pain in the ass right?!?!? What kind of material could I get to hang instead? colour? do I go for the curtain look all kinda ruffled or try to get a flat creaseless piece of fabric? HELP... I feel like all the gear that I will have to bring and be setting up is a lot of effort? Or is this just what people do?... (yep never done any paid work I'll just remind you again) How easy is it to set up a 2 light/softbox setup with a massive backdrop?... it takes up so much room! I'll have to make sure she has the space too right?

Photo booths are easy.The posing is hard. You can use a smaller seamless to transport. If not, there's always muslin. If you are printing onsite, that's a huge commitment.

Last edited:
O.K so talking with her... she wants "photobooth" type shoots at the start when people arrive then just candids throughout the night. Sooooo to create that 'photobooth' look I guess i'll need to bring my lights/softboxes/backdrops won't I :(. What is the best setup for this? I use paper rolls (as backdrops) at home but transporting that and setting it up is going to be a pain in the ass right?!?!? What kind of material could I get to hang instead? colour? do I go for the curtain look all kinda ruffled or try to get a flat creaseless piece of fabric? HELP... I feel like all the gear that I will have to bring and be setting up is a lot of effort? Or is this just what people do?... (yep never done any paid work I'll just remind you again) How easy is it to set up a 2 light/softbox setup with a massive backdrop?... it takes up so much room! I'll have to make sure she has the space too right?

Photo booths are easy.The posing is hard. You can use a smaller seamless to transport. If not, there's always muslin. If you are printing onsite, that's a huge commitment.

Not printing on site. "a smaller seamless"... you mean just a smaller piece of fabric... what kind?

Not printing on site. "a smaller seamless"... you mean just a smaller piece of fabric... what kind?

No I mean a smaller role of seamless paper. Just under 6 ft if I recall correctly. That should fit in the car.

If you've done portraits but haven't yet photographed an event you might be better off to refer the friend to a more experienced event photographer. If you don't know what equipment you need and/or haven't used it yourself, and are asking on a message board how to do this, it doesn't seem like you're quite ready to take this on.

You could get in some practice and experience taking some photos at events before you take on a paying job like this. You may have the ability to be able to develop skills to do event photography, but I think once you start getting paid it brings an obligation to meet clients' expectations and to produce professional quality results on a consistent basis.

I have the D7000 and have shot at ISO2000 w/ flash and low shutter speed 1/90 to get clear sharp images without the shutter drag effect (if that's what you want). For indoor stuff, I prefer to use a slightly wider lens, like a 35mm f1.8DX or 24-70mm (36x105) if you want a bit of flexibility, to capture a bit more "feel" of the place. You want to balance ambient light with your flash (typically 1/60 shutter speed) and don't over power the subjects with flash and create a dark surrounding. You're at a bar/club, you want to capture the lights, the people, the surrounding, and the fun atmosphere.

If you've done portraits but haven't yet photographed an event you might be better off to refer the friend to a more experienced event photographer. If you don't know what equipment you need and/or haven't used it yourself, and are asking on a message board how to do this, it doesn't seem like you're quite ready to take this on.

You could get in some practice and experience taking some photos at events before you take on a paying job like this. You may have the ability to be able to develop skills to do event photography, but I think once you start getting paid it brings an obligation to meet clients' expectations and to produce professional quality results on a consistent basis.

Thanks for the advice. When I say it's a paid job I'm talking MINIMAL as in transport costs and a little of my time. I wouldn't charge for ANY photos, she can have them all. This experience IS practice. This event is my 'trial' but I just don't feel like doing it for free considering it is 5 hours out of my evening (being a mum and having to get up early etc etc that means something) Also the location is quite far away. So a minimal 'mates rates' fee would be the only thing I ask. I think I'm getting pretty good at studio style portraits, I think even worthy of charging people these days and I will be doing that at the start of the night for ALL her guests! That's gotta be worth some payment right? not to mention the HOURS I will spend photoshopping! :)

What do you think?

I have the D7000 and have shot at ISO2000 w/ flash and low shutter speed 1/90 to get clear sharp images without the shutter drag effect (if that's what you want). For indoor stuff, I prefer to use a slightly wider lens, like a 35mm f1.8DX or 24-70mm (36x105) if you want a bit of flexibility, to capture a bit more "feel" of the place. You want to balance ambient light with your flash (typically 1/60 shutter speed) and don't over power the subjects with flash and create a dark surrounding. You're at a bar/club, you want to capture the lights, the people, the surrounding, and the fun atmosphere.

thank you! useful stuff. :)

When you are talking about setting up lights and backdrops you might have to check with the venue. Some require proof of liability insurance to set something like that up. Liability insurance is available to registered businesses.

I wouldn't do this much work without pay! But I probably wouldn't take this on at all if I'd never done this type event photography before. It might be worth taking into consideration what might happen if the pictures don't turn out well or your friend isn't happy with them, it's not like you can retake the photos once the event is done.

I think there are different skill sets and different equipment used for doing portraits and doing events. I'm an experienced photographer and have done sports and events, and although I've done in-game style portraits, I haven't done formal portraits or studio work so I wouldn't accept that type job.

If you haven't already you might want to clarify what the friend would expect for a photobooth since a photographer setting up a backdrop etc. might be different than what someone's seen and might expect (the kind that are rented). I think doing a photobooth adds work and planning to this because it would mean the night of the event you'd be trying to run the booth and go around taking pictures.

The more I read these posts the more I just want to flag the whole thing. :(

The more I read these posts the more I just want to flag the whole thing. :(

No guts no glory! Do it and learn from your mistakes. :D

TRUE! hahaha well perhaps I'll MAKE SURE the girl knows that I might suck very badly and ruin her event and that is on her head! haha

Most reactions

New Topics

Back