Event shooting questions...

JAC526

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello respected professionals and serious hobbyists of TPF. I need your assistance.

My mother is a ZUMBA instructor. Unfortunately I did not inherit her genes and can't dance for ****.

She is doing a charity dance for Susan G. Komen called ZUMBA for the Cure.

She has asked me to photograph the event. The event will be held in a gymnasium with pretty awful light.

I have a 5d classic with a Sigma 50mm 1.4. I have two Youngnuo 560IIs and some cactus triggers. My mom wants me to basically get shots of all the instructors teaching while they teach. She wants some stills before the event of the instructors. She also wants some general wide angle shots of everyone dancing.

So I am going to try to press gang my friend to help out as well.

I figure that I have to rent some glass. I was thinking about the 70-200 either 2.8 or 4. Do you think I can get away with the f4 with IS as it is about half the cost to rent?

What other things should I know and try to anticipate? Thanks for your help. The event is in 2 weeks. HOLY **** WHAT HAVE I DONE!

-Joe

PS...if I left out any pertinent information that will help you help me tell me I'm an idiot and I will answer the best I can.

I would probably be shooting with the 70-200 f2.8, the 2.8 and NOT the 4 since this won't be adequate for the lighting situations you are describing. For those wider shots, the 50 will come in handy.

Ideally I would use a fast 28mm prime on a full frame or a 2.8 18mm to 50mm zoom on a crop body camera. A focal length of 28mm will give you good depth of field in low light. A prime will give you less distortion than a zoom in the 28mm range.

skieur

I would probably be shooting with the 70-200 f2.8, the 2.8 and NOT the 4 since this won't be adequate for the lighting situations you are describing. For those wider shots, the 50 will come in handy.

Thanks. I was hoping the IS would make up for the smaller aperture. Should probably just play it safe.

Ideally I would use a fast 28mm prime on a full frame or a 2.8 18mm to 50mm zoom on a crop body camera. A focal length of 28mm will give you good depth of field in low light. A prime will give you less distortion than a zoom in the 28mm range.

skieur

I hear you there. Unfortunately I'm only renting one lens. Trying to convince my friend who I am press ganging into service to rent the 16-35 as he is interested in trying out wide angle zooms b/c he wants one for landscape and architeture.

Thanks. I was hoping the IS would make up for the smaller aperture. Should probably just play it safe.
IS don't do squat when your subjects are moving. And seeing as how this is a zumba class... if the environment is anything like you say it is, the f4 is completely out of the question imo.

OK thanks guys. That's exactly what i need to know.

Most reactions

Back