Ever feel there's nothing within 100 miles worth taking a photo of?

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just returned from a full morning of available shooting time, much anticipated by me. I had been looking forward to full fall tree colors for weeks. I drove to a large and scenic state park, spent around three hours there, and feel like I have accomplished next to nothing.

I shot some trees, nicely lit in the morning sun, then shot some more. A few more over a lake with nice reflections. But the whole time I was wishing there were something more interesting to shoot. Yeah, I looked around with a photographer's eye, considered unique angles / perspectives, etc.

I feel like I could go several years now without shooting another orange leaf.

So, I left the park, drove around a bit in search of opportunities. Got discouraged after about 20 minutes and came home.

Seems like when I go out in search of great images, I come away with nothing; kinda like what they say about looking for love - if you try too hard, it won't happen.

Anyway, just felt like sharing.

Jon

been there, Ive done 4hrs+ of just wondering around/driving long distances and walking away with 4 shots. I keep on telling myself its worth it if I got atleast one shot, plus its kinda like scouting out places... now I know where to go if I ever need it.

Well, I'm definately glad to know I'm not the only person that drives around looking for something to shoot at.:lol:

I just walked around our downtown area the other night for a couple of hours.

well, I will say I love the scenery where I'm at, but I definitely know the feeling of driving around for hours looking for some beautiful shots, and walking away with like 2 that I like.

Go back with a Macro and try to take some pictures where you are no more than 12" away from what you are shooting, that might give you a different perspective.

Look harder. Get it close, out far for the wider picture, play with DOF, pre-visualise the lighting a different times of day, plan some shots and compositions and get there when the light is right for them.

Having said that, I do agree with you that whilst in theory a good photographer SHOULD be able to get a great pic out of any scene, if you're just not inspired or feeling it, that's the end of it, and some locations are more inspiring than others.

Also realise that even if you have ONE good shot, it's an accomplishment. Your experience isn't nearly as bad as the ones many landscapers have: waking up at 3am with no breakfast, trekking off the beaten path in freezing cold and pitch darkness in time to set up for dawn, only to find that mother nature hasn't done her job and the dawn is obscured by clouds, and having to repeat the routine until they get the right conditions.

When everything starts to look boring, you can use your equipment to make the boring look interesting. There are many ways to force something to look new and exciting. Try:
- Extreme wide angle (flat-field or fish-eye)
- Extreme telephoto(300mm and above)
- Extreme bokeh(F2.8 and wider, and close-up to the subject(Nifty Fifty's great here))
- Macro(With a dedicated lens or with extension tubes)
- Try shooting for Black and white
- Try extreme techniques to get your camera in different places(I often put my wide-angle up on my fully extended tripod and then hold it 20 feet above my head for neat shots)
- Try shooting varied subjects, like people! (Go to live shows, outdoor events, etc).

It takes alot of work for me to keep it fresh, but it's possible.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
I feel the same way. I just cant find anything interesting to shoot. Ive gone around my complex and for short walks to come home with nothing. Somethimes i think im tring too hard. Im taking my camera with me to work tonight to see what i can get....:meh:

One of my analogies has always been fishing. Sometimes you get skunked, sometimes you make quite a catch. Preparedness has a lot to do with it. Know what you're after, where it's at and how to get it. Sometimes you may even have to go further out and explore the deeper waters. That's just this landscaper's thoughts. ...

I think you just have to break your routine. Go places you don't normally go, do things you haven't done.

I live in a small boring town, with nothing to shoot. I got bored one day and took a walk through the woods behind my apartment, I think I got some pretty good shots.

My next 'mission' is "downtown". I want to spend an afternoon walking around in what passes for a downtown area here (with camera of course).

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back