Ever just want to move somewhere else?

Yeah, it's hard to enjoy living here... I mean, there's stuff to do, but it takes a 100 mile drive to get to it...

This isn't going to happen overnight - I'm looking at some time in the fall. Maybe even next spring. Definitely before my daughter starts school though - so that gives me till next fall. The longer I wait, the more moving money I'll have, but I'm not too worried about that. Most companies will pay a couple thousand to help you move - but that's not really enough anyway. I've done cross-country moves before, and I've found that it's better to sell everything, then buy new stuff when you get there. You'll pay more than the stuff is worth to move it.

I did a little looking, and right now Jacksonville or Fort Lauderdale, FL are looking like the best places for me getting a good job. I'm pretty sure I could even just transfer to either of those without even having to quit my job.

There was a quote by some famous someone......idk? But it said "if you aren't happy with your life now, then change something". I'm not sure if that's right but my point is, if you hate where you live now then change it. Fix yourself up an airplane and fly it the heck outta there.

I'd go with Deleware, I've vacationed in about 6 different states and I've traveled through just about all of them. And Delaware seemed pretty nice. Ocean city was a blast and your pretty close to New York, Philly, and D.C. Those are some of the most photogenic places in America.

I'm right with you, I don't really care for where I live, unfortunately I'll be stuck here until I finish my edumacation.

As being a military brat in my younger days moving around the states while my dad served in the US. Marines for 22 1/2 years I got to see the states I've lived all the way in Southern California, Texas, Georgia, Florida, New Hampshire, North Carolina. Also when my mother retired as a traveling nurse after 30+ years of taking care of sick babies level 3 NICU nurse and 10+ years of being a traveling nurse NICU level 3 nurse, charge nurse and flight team nurse. I lived in Florida most of my life but I did travel a lot. I gotten use to it, now I am back home in Florida.

Well, we have decided on Florida.

Where, exactly, I'm not sure yet - as long as it's close to the beach. :lol:

In order of how easy it will be for me to get a job: Jacksonville, Pensacola, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa. I have an Aunt that lives near Tampa.

This isn't going to happen overnight - I'm not even going to seriously start looking (applying for jobs) till August. But it is exciting knowing that our days here are numbered. :lol:

Why wait so long? I have stuff to take care of here, I want to wait till my car is paid off, and I get a raise in August. I'm hoping the raise will make other companies offer me more. Plus, the longer I wait, the more moving money I have - but I don't want to wait too long. :lol:

Nobody can talk me out of it now, lol - it's just a matter of time.

If I had to go right now, it would be Jacksonville. Things might change a little in 6 months, so that may not be the best choice then - but it looks pretty good now.

Rent a big place, I'll be down to visit!!

Whenever we're all set up, you're welcome! :)

I think it took this job, in this place to make me realize that money isn't everything.

Now I know why we pay so much - to keep the turnover rate down. We pay, on average, $5/hr more than the competition - I realize now that it's only to keep people here. The only thing to keep people here is money...

Well, we have decided on Florida.

Where, exactly, I'm not sure yet - as long as it's close to the beach. :lol:

In order of how easy it will be for me to get a job: Jacksonville, Pensacola, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa. I have an Aunt that lives near Tampa.

This isn't going to happen overnight - I'm not even going to seriously start looking (applying for jobs) till August. But it is exciting knowing that our days here are numbered. :lol:

Why wait so long? I have stuff to take care of here, I want to wait till my car is paid off, and I get a raise in August. I'm hoping the raise will make other companies offer me more. Plus, the longer I wait, the more moving money I have - but I don't want to wait too long. :lol:

Nobody can talk me out of it now, lol - it's just a matter of time.

If I had to go right now, it would be Jacksonville. Things might change a little in 6 months, so that may not be the best choice then - but it looks pretty good now.

You'll like Jacksonville it has a air base locally so no worries there here's a website to check out to see what there is to do there...Thing to Do in Jacksonville - Attractions & Florida Vacation Information - Visit Jacksonville

Also look in to Panama City Beach the party town when Spring Break hits in the summer time a lot of things to do rent is expensive around the beach area but in town it's kinda cheap.

Well, a lot has happened since I started this thread. We still haven't moved anywhere, but it still sucks here.

Thinking there's a very good chance we'll be moving back to Ohio (Columbus area) this summer. I can't take it anymore, lol. The only reason we're going to wait that long is because that's when the lease on the apartment is up.

After this, I'm done with aviation... I've turned enough wrenches, lol.

If you've moved several times already you should know by now that pretty much everywhere sucks more or less the same amount, just for different reasons.

Kinda like the white balance of life. NYC is expensive as hell, but you can make more, and there's infinite models and other opportunity here. Oh, and winter sucks. Texas is cheaper than NY, but more expensive than other places, but it has its own distinct flavor of suckitude. Ironically, what makes texas suck for me, may be the best thing about it for you.

If the money is good where you are, and the expenses aren't just as high and eating away at the benefit, then just find a way to make it work for you.

I've lived a lot of places, and every place I've lived, I lived a different kind of lifestyle than I lived in other places. You just have to learn to maximize what works for you, and minimize what doesn't.

Unless it's unbearable, in which case it's not a pay cut, its a sanity bonus.

Oh, and I lived in Columbus Ohio for 12 years, and you couldn't pay me enough to move back there.

Well maybe you could, but it would have to include a new identity every 6 months to pass off to the Gestapo State Patrol.

If I had no choice but to be there I'd make do, but not by choice.

I have moved a lot. I'm not really sure how much detail I went into earlier in this thread, and I don't really feel like reading it again because it will probably just make me depressed that nearly a year later nothing has changed - but yeah, I've moved a TON. Always for work, never because I 'just wanted to live there'.

Honestly, I don't even give a **** about the money anymore. That's how bad it is, lol. I'll eat rice every day if everything else doesn't suck.

And I'm totally with you on the sanity bonus thing - that's what this next move will be for. There's no doubt that it will involve what will likely be a massive pay cut, but at this point that is totally cool with me.

Oh, and I lived in Columbus Ohio for 12 years, and you couldn't pay me enough to move back there.

Well maybe you could, but it would have to include a new identity every 6 months to pass off to the Gestapo State Patrol.

If I had no choice but to be there I'd make do, but not by choice.
I grew up in Columbus, and literally every person I know and my entire family lives there. Haven't been there in over a decade. Most of my family doesn't even know my kids.

There is absolutely no work there in the **** I do - and now I'm at the point where I don't even like what I do anymore, so - why not start over?

Well, I suspect you don't hate what you do so much as who you do it for. At the end of the day its a job... I don't get up every morning thinking I've gotta go play... no... I gotta go to work. Even if I my job was a dream job... rock star or some ish... I still gotta get up and go to work, go write the songs, do the promos, or whatever... and then it's a j.o.b.

I've been a mechanic, not one now, but there's a definite satisfaction from working with your hands and building or fixing things. You can always apply the skills to a different niche. Automotive, and get your ASE (or dealer) certs. As an aircraft guy you can probably get into reasonably decent auto shops... dealership work for example where you don't have work on pos beaters and haggle with broke people to get paid.

But if a break back home is what it takes to clear your mind and help you decide what you want to do with the rest of your life... then go for it... so long as you can afford it that is.

Most reactions

Back