Ever Kicked Yourself For Not Having Your Camera?

TimothyJinx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.timothymillerphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know the answer to this is probably either yes or I am never without my camera.

My wife and I took our youngest on a college visit today. I didn't want to embarrass her by looking all touristy and what not. Plus, I figured we'd be indoors most of the time, in libraries, etc. So I left it in the car. Anyway, 5 minutes into the tour we get these awesome and terrifying dark clouds rolling in and they look just gorgeous as backdrops for these beautiful buildings and landscaping. Three times I said to my wife, "Dang, I should have brought my camera!" But then the skies opened up and it proceeded to pour rain all over us as we walked through the rest of the tour. We were drenched - rain was dripping from our clothes. So, after all I guess I was glad I didn't have my camera.

Yes, and now I am never without my camera.

Joe

Eh happens all the time - you just have to get used to it and learn to enjoy moments as they happen. Actually sometimes its really great NOT to have the camera with you. Having a camera can often remove you from an event or situation or make you view it very differently - as a result you end up being the one "behind the camera" looking at moments not being a part of them (This is very much the case for many social and family events).

Of course having a camera with you much of the time gives you the choice to use or not to use it. I know many DSLR photographers who've recently bought into the Micro 4/3rds mirrorless market of cameras because they offer a small, interchangable lens camera setup that still has the quality and features and feel of a DSLR - whilst being much smaller and unobtrusive (ie you can be the guy with the camera without carrying a half tonne of gear and a bulky setup)

Last week, on the way to work. I had the camera, but by the time I saw the opportunity, we had passed it and really couldn't go back. Have you ever seen a line of folks trying to get into a popular restaurant? Here was a county truck on the side of the road, and a guy looking over a small embankment. Behind him were a dozen turkey vultures, all lined up, intently watching him.

Happens to me from time to time. I am used to it now. I carry my camera when I can and dont sweat it if I miss something.

I even keep forgetting that I have a pretty decent P and S camera on my phone. So actually I am rarely without my camera. Someone's byline on here is, "the best camera in the world is the one you've got in your hand"

My iPhone has come in handy a few times in the past. But it isn't the same as using my SLR.

In the past year or so, I've had perhaps 4 or 5 FANTASTIC shots magically 'appear' while I am driving... Alas, without camera. But then, a couple of them were while driving on the freeway and stopping suddenly would cause serious problems.

Certainly, I would not want to leave my 'good stuff' in the car cooking/freezing/whatever when not in use. But, a decent point-and-shoot? I'm still in the 'kicking the tires' stage as I keep thinking 'why get a point and shoot when my cheapest lens is in the $1000 range? Perhaps if they put 5D3 sensor technology with L quality glass in a point and shoot...

OP, yes, mix pix all the time. Wish I was better at keeping it with me.

I used to, now I kick myself for not having longer/wider/faster glass.

I don't berate myself for not having my camera with me if a good shot opportunity presents itself. I let some ideas of what I might have done run through my mind, and then I forget about it. Life's too short.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

The first 15 minutes of my mornings you can set a clock by. If ANYTHING in those first 15 minutes changes, it ruins my day. I'll do things like forget my camera bag. Every once in a while it happens and I kick myself every time. My camera back pack is as common to me as my sun glasses and wallet. lol

Every single day on my way to work in the Spring, and every day on my way home from work in the Fall/Winter. Why? I drive through the Blue Ridge and am never able to capture the amazing sunrises/sunsets. Probably better off, since it's probably pretty dangerous to photograph while driving at highway speeds (and faster...) up a winding mountain. Hubs has already forbidden me from parking on the side and walking into the median... I say anything for the shot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back