ever lose any equipment to a friend?

notelliot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
or someone you worked with?

yet another reason for me to insure my gear. i'm not going to say what was lost, because i'm pretty embarrassed that i didn't see this coming. but it's not something that cripples me, just makes a lot of things very difficult to do. and i don't exactly have the cash to replace it. i'm not sure what i'm going to do. what's on my mind right now would most likely land me in jail for a month or two, and that would be crippling.

so, has this or something like it happened to you when you were young and dumb? if so, what did you do (assuming you weren't insured)?

:er:

No one borrows my equipment simple as that, if they say well if I shot this with your camera the photos will turn out better. I would tell them they are a fool and its not the camera its the operator.

I have a friend that had a similar situation. He had meet someone and they had become friends over the term of a month. But then this guy stole his d70, all is lenses, his ipod and his skateboard and disapeared, what a bummer. I only let my parents touch my cameras (sometimes)

I have a friend that had a similar situation. He had meet someone and they had become friends over the term of a month. But then this guy stole his d70, all is lenses, his ipod and his skateboard and disapeared, what a bummer. I only let my parents touch my cameras (sometimes)

His board too? That sux!

I don't lend stuff out.

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but here you could take them to small claims court to try to get your stuff back.

You never loan anything to a friend/neighbor/coworker/etc you give it to them. If somewhere along the road they decide to give it back, thats just icing...

I actually have to take my comment back, a tiny bit. I loaned a friend $200. We had both just moved across the country to go to the same grad school, he was living with his fiancé, and they were trying to furnish their apartment. They were sleeping on an air mattress. They mentioned to me when they helped me move boxes to my place that a store was having a sale on mattresses, and that I could look, but they didn't have the cash on-hand to take advantage of the deal.

I did, and so I offered to loan it to them, with the agreement they'd pay me back with his first paycheck (next month). My parents thought I was stupid to do it because they said I would lose a friendship if they didn't pay me back. But I trusted the guy (he was one of the most straight & level people I knew), and they did pay me back the next month.

So yeah, I guess I've loaned someone something reasonably "expensive," and I had a good experience doing so. And later, I even got to screw in the bed with his wife (okay, it sounds really bad, but I was helping them move and I was literally screwing in the bed frame, which we had taken apart before the move, and his wife was helping me put it back together).

I don't lend things out ... with one friend being an exception. But I know that she would replace lost or damaged items at all costs.

And later, I even got to screw in the bed with his wife (okay, it sounds really bad,

When i first read this, I was :confused: ... ;) I thought, WOW, this guy is honest, I know these things happen all the time, but would one tell it on a public forum? ;)

When you lend anything...money, car, equipment...consider that you are making a gift of it, don't expect it will be returned.

Don't borrow anything unless you have cash to replace it within 24 hours, money, car or equipment.

Feel free to say no to borrowers without finding an excuse to do so.

My largest gift - $10,000 when it was 25% of my net worth. It was requested as loan, I made it as a gift and don't regret doing so. No it wasn't returned.

There are some things I'll lend out, but I learned a long time ago that people aren't always aware of that need concept of loan means "to be returned"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back