Ever Said No???

kric2schaam626

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone out there said no to a possible photo shoot because you don’t want to work for the inquiring client? My husband has “friends” from his teen years who asked me to do photos for their family and brother-in-laws family/kids. Between the two families there are six children under the age of five. I have not spent a lot of time with the children, but from friends who have, they do not behave well at all. The lady asking me also inquired a couple of months ago. I told her my price including travel of one hour each way, and she said no. She just came back to me today and said their plans with the new photographer fell through, so she would like me to do the pictures now. Quite frankly, I don’t want to do the pictures - is that bad? Can I say no to her? Has anyone else said no just because they didn’t want to do pictures for someone specific?

i would say if they said no in the first place, its not worth it. sounds like they are nothing but trouble.

If both of you are not bringing the "A" game you may as well skip on the gig.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Anyone know how I respond? Do I just tell her I am not interested at this time?

I say you do it and show her why she should have picked you in the first place. It can only lead to more business especially if you can rein in the kids. If you don't do it what do you gain? How can you word that you are "not interested at this time" and not sound bitter about being refused? Unless you really are booked, I can't see refusing a client who is willing to pay what you are asking.

.....Has anyone else said no just because they didn’t want to do pictures for someone specific?
Absolutely.

It's called qualifying your customer. Customers can be dis-qualified for any number of reasons.

I've never heard of this. I imagine it's based on "personal preference"?

If you know there will be problems with the subjects, you know there will be problems with the customers, and you know you don't really want to do it, why don't you just say, "I can't do it", and leave it at that.

If you decide to go through with this, and it should already be a part of your contract, but just saying, make sure you outline that you are not responsible for results that are caused by acts of God, failure of the subject to participate, etc, etc.

You are a business woman...or at least, I assume you are. This isn't personal. It's business. If you do the shoot, make sure they understand it's business, what your expectations are, what your concerns are, and how to achieve the best from the shoot. It's the same as the preshoot briefing when you advise them what to wear, what looks good, when to show up, whether they should have just fed a newborn/pet, etc.

If you don't think they are capable of following simple preshoot instructions, than just say that given the circumstances, you probably aren't the right photographer for them and move on.

Judging by your description of their behaivor and that of their kids, I wouldn't touch this shoot with a 10 foot pole.

You don't have to provide any reasons or excuses if you decide you don't wish to work for these people you just tell them that you are not avaliable. Walking into a situation that you already know will be stressful is a pointless exercise, and no one needs more stress.

It is common for a client to fire someone they hired, it should be fine for the professional to fire the client.

As has been suggested, wouldn't touch this with any type of pole. The chances are extremely high, it will be all down hill, stressful and serious issues from start to finish. (If , it ever finishes)

I forgot to mention that she also asked me to the cut the price in half the first time. That's what really pinched my nerve . . .

If you do decide to dump them, make sure you do so that they don't feel like like they have been dumped. If they decide to start letting other people you know that you are unreliable as a photographer, bad words spread quickly and can really hurt a career.

Of course I have said no. I have also fired customers. That is why I'm the boss.

Most reactions

Back