Ever seen a gargoyle pick it's nose?

Skep18

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just thought I'd share. Just got my first DSLR, a Canon XSi, a couple months back. Like the shot. I suppose some C&C can't hurt.

Food for Thought
EOS8.jpg

Last edited:
Editted.

Comments welcomed. Thanks.

Few more shots. C&C Welcome, however I will admit I'm quite new to this. It's all done with a Canon XSi with the 18-55mm lense.

EOS6.jpg

EOS12.jpg

EOS1.jpg

EOS4.jpg

idk, they are fun pictures, but nothing exciting, the gargoyle isn't bad, but no composition or colors, more like a cool snapshot.. and others are snapshots

Your 2nd photo is my favorite from this thread so far. It would appear that you are using your camera's flash for most of these photos. Not a bad thing I guess but it is creating some heavy shadows which I find a little distracting...

Take it for what its worth...I'm new to this as well. Enjoy your new hobby (and work some overtime at the office to pay for it - I've spent over $3K in only 3 weeks just bing lenses and crap).

Cheers!
- Dan

idk, they are fun pictures, but nothing exciting, the gargoyle isn't bad, but no composition or colors, more like a cool snapshot.. and others are snapshots
I don't know...the only one that screams snapshot is the one of the buy with the beer and cig.

I like the one of the girl the best. The cat one is kinda snapshot-ish, but since you actually took the time to get on the cat's level to change the perspective it did make it more interesting. Cropping the cats foot in the corner though really bugs me.

The gargoyle is a cool picture, but I agree that the lack of colors (out of your control unless you're up for a little vandalism) makes it blah. I like the depth-of-field. Maybe next time - if there is a next time - even got for a shallower depth.

I don't know...the only one that screams snapshot is the one of the buy with the beer and cig.

I like the one of the girl the best. The cat one is kinda snapshot-ish, but since you actually took the time to get on the cat's level to change the perspective it did make it more interesting. Cropping the cats foot in the corner though really bugs me.

The gargoyle is a cool picture, but I agree that the lack of colors (out of your control unless you're up for a little vandalism) makes it blah. I like the depth-of-field. Maybe next time - if there is a next time - even got for a shallower depth.

Thanks for feedback.

Yea, that cat pic wasn't cropped. All of them are unedited photos. I like the girl pic most as well.

Concerning flash, I agree, however I'm not wanting to drop anymore $$$ at the moment and just spending some time learning and using the kit equipment.

But thanks everyone for the C&C. All is welcomed.

How would I best avoid this "snapshot" feel as ppl seem to be saying?

Moving from a snapshot to a photograph means you have to show something out of the picture, not just 'be there in the moment'. Generally you have to pay close attention to composition as well as technical aspects.
My advice would be to look at lots of good photos taken by other people, on here, on flickr, wherever. The more you see the more you will learn about what makes a good photo.

good shots i suppose. i would say to just work with what you have at the moment, and do what fokker said. just look at photos all around and take part in the photography community. your artistic ability will develop with time and experience. it'd be good to see any more shots you have some :)

Moving from a snapshot to a photograph means you have to show something out of the picture, not just 'be there in the moment'. Generally you have to pay close attention to composition as well as technical aspects.
My advice would be to look at lots of good photos taken by other people, on here, on flickr, wherever. The more you see the more you will learn about what makes a good photo.

Thanks for the advice! I've always enjoyed art in many forms. I've just recently expanded my horizons to photography. As with all things in life, it has it's own ins and outs. Thanks for the advice.

good shots i suppose. i would say to just work with what you have at the moment, and do what fokker said. just look at photos all around and take part in the photography community. your artistic ability will develop with time and experience. it'd be good to see any more shots you have some :)

I do! I'll dig out some of the ones I enjoy more in an hour or so.

it'd be good to see any more shots you have some :)

Here's a few more. Probably going to draw that "snapshot" feel again. But again, I've not cropped or edited any of these shots.

EOS2.jpg

EOS5.jpg

EOS3.jpg

You might want to check your exposure settings...all three of those look overexposed to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back