• Total voters

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
just curious if anyone here has taken a photography course. i couldnt think of anywhere else to put it, i hope this is in the right place.

Two years in high school my freshmen & sophomore years. The photography teacher took a job in the media dept at the school board. And was not replaced, if he had stayed on or was replaced. I like would have taken more class.

I am working on my BA and needed an art credit. Figured photography would be an easy A since I worked alot of freelance in the early 90's. Resparked the picture bug, and caused me to put in a darkroom. The instructor is a graduate of Center(now College) for Creative Studies in Detroit. He's pretty good, and I applaud him that he's making a decent living out of Photography.

Several different photography-related classes, actually, at a local non-accredited adult education school. They have an excellent darkroom rental facility, studio, etc. Very fun curriculum taught by pros, lots of variety. :)

Doing the NYIP course.

Although I have taken a course in HS, I didn't do photographic work back then. It was taught by the same teacher who teaches video production, and that was my strongsuit back then, so he let me do that for the photo grade instead of photography.

HOWEVER, the brunt of my knowledge came from working at a pro photo gear shop as a salesman. THAT was my photo class....non-stop for 8hrs a day for over 2 years.

kwyjibo said:
Is it worth the money?I am curious if the "press pass" you get is really legit.

Not likely, more likely you need to be registered with a wire service or working with a publisher

kwyjibo said:
Is it worth the money?I am curious if the "press pass" you get is really legit.
NYIP is worth the money for a beginner. :thumbup:

The pass is legit. But do not compare it with the Reuters/AP level. You will be photographing for the NYIP Magazine. I haven't had the chance to use the pass yet, so I might be in dark about further tech issues. You might just want to call them.

Good to know. I didn't know if I could use it to get i local events or if you were sent "on assignment" from NYIP or just how it worked. Thanks for the info.

For basic photography, I think it's a waste of time and money with all the online possibilities. As you get more advanced and start needing more specific and refined knowledge the classes are well worth it.

Most reactions

Back