Everyday lens help?

justjonny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a canon 80D W/ 50mm 1.8 lens.

I’m looking for something that’s more of everyday purposes. A few lenses that I’ve been looking at is a Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens & the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

Both check a lot of boxes off for me but can anyone recommend one over the other? Or even recommend something similar of these two? Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

First remark: the EF 1.8/50 is a great choice to start with.

Second: if you did master the 50mm on a 1.6*crop body of semi professional quality I would certainly recommend something wider.

If you hesitate try a 35mm lens.

If you are daring go for a 20mm lens.

I know people who managed to survive professional careers with an 85mm lens on film 36*24 sqmm.

I know a guy who has at least 200 lenses and managed to survive one year of professional and personal use on one lens: another 85mm.

50mm*1.6 equals 80mm!

Master the lens you have. Invest in photo courses and workshops and meetings.

Forget about equipment. It will come to you if you are ready.

First remark: the EF 1.8/50 is a great choice to start with.

Second: if you did master the 50mm on a 1.6*crop body of semi professional quality I would certainly recommend something wider.

If you hesitate try a 35mm lens.

If you are daring go for a 20mm lens.

I know people who managed to survive professional careers with an 85mm lens on film 36*24 sqmm.

I know a guy who has at least 200 lenses and managed to survive one year of professional and personal use on one lens: another 85mm.

50mm*1.6 equals 80mm!

Master the lens you have. Invest in photo courses and workshops and meetings.

Forget about equipment. It will come to you if you are ready.

I thought the 50mm I’d use as a portrait lens since it is 80mm after the conversion. I’m just curious for something that I could use on an everyday basis or for when I travel

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Traveling I find that 35mm or equivalent field of view is great. On my crop camera I use a 20mm lens for the purpose or I just take my Fuji X100T which is small and light and features superb image quality with a 2.0/23mm on a *1.5 crop.

I haven't seriously taken pictures since 1999. But even then I was all about the zoom. It's not fast glass but my fave EF is a Sigma 28-105 4-5.6.
I'm a cheap dude. I run that lens on an EOS650 35mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If it's for general pictures and traveling. I would definately go with the 17-55.

Most reactions

Back