Everyone sings praises of your work, until money enters into the equation

if Bram thinks your price is high he would faint at mine;)

You guys are approaching this all wrong. Look at it from the customer's point of view.

They don't give a rat's behind if you're a pro or not. You have cool photographs of their car, that's all they care about. I know a guy who attends MMX (dirt bike) events and takes pics of everyone. He makes prints right there on-site and then walks around to find the drivers in his photos. He sells 4x6 prints for $5 a pop, and you know what? They eat them up like candy.

These guys have a lot of time, and money for that matter, wrapped up in their car/bike/whatever. They are just thrilled that someone else shares their passion and is out there taking photos of them doing it. It makes them feel like pros themselves to have cool pictures doing what they love to do. They'll show their friends and hang your prints in their garage. If they can afford to race, trust me, they won't scoff at a few bucks for high quality photos.

Ask yourself this is a print or two worth access again? I would think so given you can sell to anyone outside that area if you like. Fact is they may have been expecting you to provide a freebie or two to the people that gave you the opportunity. They gave you the chance to take those pics after all and surely a print or two is not so much to ask. Bottom line, you turn them down after they have helped you, you may not be asked back to take any more photos in the future. Think about it.

Bottom line, you turn them down after they have helped you, you may not be asked back to take any more photos in the future. Think about it.

Sorry, not buying it.

If the event organizer were asking for a few prints, then you might have a point. But these guys have nothing to do with whether or not he has access to the event in the future. Could a disgruntled racer raise a big stink about not getting free prints to the event organizer? Sure, but not likely. Even if that were the case, as someone who runs a business, they're not likely to side with the guy wanting stuff for free anyway.

I think is possible to under price art. If it is too low people will doubt its value. That may be the case here.

If you were granted "inside the fence" track access (rather than outside the fence spectator access) that would imply that you are acting in the capacity of an official event photog;however informal the arrangement is. I have never been to an event where the official photog was giving away his work. Granted I do motorcycle road racing not drag racing but I am yet to see free photos from someone who had inside track access. As far as getting access goes, I go to the local track and get pretty good shots from outside of the fence, but if the guy who organizes our group decided to let me on the track I would not give away my shots just because he let me get a little closer. It doesn't cost them anything to let me through the fence, yet I still have to pay a gate fee to park. If they don't understand that and expect you to give your shots away for free then next time you just go as a spectator.

Most reactions

Back