Everything EVIL in you comes out

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
E.V.I.L. - Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens

Since there's not an EVIL specific forum or even product forums for such brands as Olympus and Panasonic, I'll just start this thread here. Use it for everything EVIL. Post photos, rumors, gear, etc. The one thing I ask is if you post photos taken with an EVIL camera, please include at least what camera and lens combo it was taken with, since lenses can be interchanged between certain brands and legacy glass is also a big thing with these cameras.

Panasonic E-P3 with 14-42 kit lens

I've since picked up an Oly 45 f/1.8 and a Lumix 20 f/1.7. I'm currently waiting for Amazon to ship my OM-D.

E.V.I.L. - Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens

Since there's not an EVIL specific forum or even product forums for such brands as Olympus and Panasonic, I'll just start this thread here. Use it for everything EVIL. Post photos, rumors, gear, etc. The one thing I ask is if you post photos taken with an EVIL camera, please include at least what camera and lens combo it was taken with, since lenses can be interchanged between certain brands and legacy glass is also a big thing with these cameras.

I prefer calling them mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras
M.I.L.C. for short. It sounds a little less evil lol.

Sent from my mobile

Oly E-P3 with 45mm f/1.8 and EVF2

i-CGp4G2m-XL.jpg

Also added the large grip. Makes for much better handeling.

i-9zVkBcn-XL.jpg

Standard kit lens and the 40-150mm.

i-grddDLV-XL.jpg

Hopefully I'll have photos to share after this weekend. Going to a car show at the beach and leaving the 5D MKII at home.

It's a shame that their primes aren't weather sealed to go with the OM-D.

Sometimes I wonder if the OMD is more a brag "we can do this" along with a market tester to see if the market will really pay £1K for a camera of its class. I actually hope that it sells well as whilst it is very expensive it also brings to the field the concept of a professional or at least high class smaller camera.

So far it is an amazing camera. Next weekend I am off for a bit of a trip and have commented to taking the OMD-EM5 and leaving the d700 at home.

I got a pen-1 years ago to use as my point and shoot camera, and was happy, then upgraded to the pen-3 for the same reason, but recently bit the bullet for the OMD-EM5.

On several of the micro 4/3 boards people are starting to post images from this camera and some are fabulous, the ones not so good; let 's just say in the hands of the operator is going to be a huge difference. However, isn't this true about any piece of equipment?

Thom Hogan, well-known author and photography writer has launched a new website devoted exclusively to mirrorless cameras. EVIL is one name; mirrorless interchangeable lens camera is another name for cameras in this class. Same with compact mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Basically, the defining qualities of cameras of this particular "type" are 1) interchangeable lenses and 2) NO MIRROR. Hence, the name of Thom Hogan's excellent site,
Welcome to sans Mirror | Sans Mirror ? mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Sometimes I wonder if the OMD is more a brag "we can do this" along with a market tester to see if the market will really pay £1K for a camera of its class. I actually hope that it sells well as whilst it is very expensive it also brings to the field the concept of a professional or at least high class smaller camera.

The Nex 7 is more expensive. An E-P3 with an electronic viewfinder is nearly the same price and you lose the hotshoe on the E-P3 with the view finder. Not to mention, the OM-D has better dynamic range and ISO performance than the E-P3. I don't see where the price is that outrageous compared to other high end mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras.

Ahh I was just comparing the base costs of the bodies rather than with expanding (eg with the electronic viewfinder) - plus I'd totally overlooked the sony offerings (thus not even known that the Nex was on the market). Seeing others jumping in at the £1K price boundary seems that I'm behind the times with concern about mirrorless staying strong in that market.

I got my OMD E-M5 a few weeks ago and I still feel the price point is fine. Its comparable to their Panasonic competitors. My only complaint... I haven't had time to actually shoot with it.

that

and Adobe is taking a while to get support for the camera in Lightroom 3. (I use the DNG converter for the time being)

Last edited:
I've decided to keep my E-PL1....too (had a thread with my review a while ago). So while I don't have anything from the OMD yet... here's a few from the E-PL1 (whatever I happen to u/l online).

E-PL1 + adapted Tamron 90mm (I posted this one before)
6928604391_c4dc6c6337_b.jpg

E-PL1 + Olympus 9-18mm

6920318734_65a01fa4ef_b.jpg

E-PL1 + Panasonic 45-200mm

6920318642_0445db9baf_b.jpg

E-PL1 + Olympus 45mm f/1.8 (literally the first photo after opening the box)

6782428239_7544738d9c_b.jpg

E-PL1 + Panasonic 45-200mm

5875348018_e2a8764ae5_b.jpg

E-PL1 + Panasonic 45-200mm (Not a good photo but I posted this for a friend to show the detail and craftsmanship of the statue itself.. .amazing achievement of human hands.)

6920349834_43eb094093_b.jpg

PS> ... Subforum? ...

Last edited:
Assuming you don't need to sell it to fund the OMD, I vote to keep it. I came very very close to buying an E-P3... very nice feel and performance. Since Olympus/Panasonic have a few interesting lenses in the pipeline and the numerous examples of legacy lenses, it might be beneficial to have two cameras with different lenses mounted. Besides these cameras are pretty compact/lightweight so carrying two occasionally isn't a big concern. The OMD by the way will feel a bit heavier than your e-P3 but not too much.

For me... selling the E-PL1 wouldn't net me much and I am still having loads of fun with it. My wife likes the handling (P&S feel and operation) and the out of camera JPG images. Probably use it mostly with legacy lenses... The MFT systems may not be a replacement for a full DSLR system but they sure fit various lifestyles; be it a journalist, casual shooter, diaper/stroller pushin parent.. etc.. Now that there's a nice collection in the system, there seems to be little bit of something for everyone.

E-PL1 + M42 mount Takumar 135mm

6221415973_b451b972b8_b.jpg

The ol'G1 though... probably going off to the auction block this weekend but my wife and son have suddenly taken an interest in it. Oh well.

PS> A few months ago, my son was throwing a hissy fit after a tough day of lots going wrong. We decided to call it a day and quickly just give up and headed home. I walked off from the area we were at only to realize I had left my camera bag behind with my M9 and three lenses. I almost had a heart attack but all is well and the bag was still there. Yes... the E-PL1 comes along on those occasions... not exactly worry free but I'll survive if lost/broken.

Last edited:
Recently bought the Panasonic GF3 as a lightweight traveling companion in place of my 4-yr-old Nikon D60. I've always liked the design of Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras. Limited budget but still able to get the body, kit 134-42 kit lens, and 45-200 zoom. Just used it a few times so far but the image quality (shooting RAW and processing in LR4) has been better than I expected. The LCD screen is usable even in sunlight. the controls are different than my D60 (no surprise), but it's easy to shoot in aperture or shutter priority or manual, though its "Auto+" setting can handle a range of lighting situations. Higher ISOs are clean enough for most indoor and low light settings. Heading off on trip soon and I'll see how it performs as the mainstay on vacation. Very pleased with the camera and lenses and especially the price!

Most reactions

Back