Everything EVIL in you comes out

Question to the OM-D shooters out there.....

Have any of you bought the two-stage grip for the body yet? If so, care to give your thoughts?

I went to my local shop the other week and they had them in the box without, but one of the staff members had their own with the grip. I felt the same way when I first slapped on a grip on my Nikon bodies. Damn good feeling. One down down side that I can see is the compromise with increasing the footprint. If it is an easy on/off without having to do a lot of mucking about would be a bonus.

I did.... I was on the fence with the decision for quite a long time.

Pros:
* Well built.
* Comfortable.. especially with larger lenses like the 100-300mm or larger adapted lenses.
* Designed well. Shutter and Dials on both the grip and vertical battery grip are well placed.
* Grip by itself (without the vertical battery grip) actually doesn't increase the foot print too much.
* Weather-sealed just like the rest of the body
* With 1 battery in the camera and 1 battery in the vertical battery grip == Lots of shooting time. By default it drains the battery grip battery first then the one in the camera. I have 3 batteries and treat the one in the camera as a backup. Swapping the battery in the grip is very very quick and easy.
* Extra buttons to assign functions.
* Switch to disable the vertical grip shutter.
* Just like old school grips... the two pieces use the tripod screw mount so you gotta twist a knob. I didn't find it a problem.
* With just the grip attached, I didn't find the camera much bulkier. Added weight is slight. Camera is noticeably bulkier with both sections attached as you might expect.

Cons:
* Price. Seems a bit expensive which is why it took a while for me to decide
* You have to unscrew and remove the grip to access the battery compartment on the camera itself. Its different from other camera designs in which both batteries reside in two compartments built into the grip. I figure it probably wasn't designed that way due to size
* Did I say Price?

PS> Subforum Please...?

Last edited:
8014218192_9dda0d86d0_b.jpg

Good stuff usayit, keep 'em comin'. The images I've seen from the OMD here and at mu-43 are impressive.

I'll be in the NC mountains in about 3 weeks for my annual Fall Foliage Tour. I have been suffering from 2 herniated lumbar discs lately, so the Nikon gear is definitely staying at home. I'm thinking of renting the OMD along with the 12mm and the new 75mm lenses. A 10 day rental will run me about $250 for all three. This will give me a good head-to-head comparison with the EP3 to see if an ugrade is in the making.

Sounds like fun!!! I would be interested in hearing your opinions between the ep3 and omd. I was coming from a modest epl1 and g1 so the improvements observed are huge.

Sounds like fun!!! I would be interested in hearing your opinions between the ep3 and omd. I was coming from a modest epl1 and g1 so the improvements observed are huge.

I made the EP-3 to OM-D jump and the noise performance alone was worth it.

I'll have some photos to post in the next couple of days.

I also purchased a PW MiniTT1 to use with both my cameras. It's a lot smaller than the PII and fits nicely on top of the OM-D. Can't wait to test it out in the future.

I placed the order today so I can give my thoughts in a few weeks. I leave Friday-week for 10 days and then it takes me a while to slug through the editing process. I may some slight adjustments on the order.

Oly OMD E-M5 body
2 Stage Grip (why not?)
Panny 12-35mm f/2.8 (in lieu of the 12mm f/2.0)
Oly 75mm f/1.8

That knocks a three hundred dollar bill on the head. B&H's price for the same gear new is $3297 + S&H.

Congrats... I myself are debating over the 12-35mm

I traditionally shoot primes but i already have a bunch that are in constant use with another system. The accumulation of primes for both systems feels a bit bloated and a higher end zoom is occasionally missed. Unfortunately, selling all three micro 4 3 lenses doesn't equate to the cost and i am concerned hat i wont be happy with the final result. This a good predicament to be in..

PS mods subforum?

Guys - have a check where the thread is now :)

What about a Leica forum

DPREVIEW and some other forums put Leica in as "Mirrorless". Good enough for me.

I see some familiar RFF Avatars here.

So, who has used a Jupiter-3 on an M Monochrom yet...

Most reactions

Back