EXCITED!!! Then bored by photography.

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anybody ever feel this way? 1 month ago I got my first good speedlight and some home studio equipment, took some portraits, posted them here and on Strobist and was excited about getting more gear and shooting more portraits. Now, suddenly, I feel like I've lost interest. Just that fast.

The excitement may come back to me but I fear this may be a leading indicator of some sort of depression as we head into the winter months. :meh:

I don't know how to feel and that sucks.

For me, with my 'interests', this is normal. I am not disinterested but rather inactive with one as my focus is drawn elsewhere.

For me, with my 'interests', this is normal. I am not disinterested but rather inactive with one as my focus is drawn elsewhere.

Thanks, I like that. Inactive. That makes a lot of sense. Cool. :thumbup:

You just have GAS....Gear Acquisition Syndrome. You'll need to keep buying new gear to get that endorphin rush. :lol:

It's perfectly normal to be full of energy for something new and exciting and then to find that, once the initial peek has worn off your interest wavers a little. Nothing wrong in it at all - heck for some people they thrive on it, shifting from hobby to hobby as their interests shift and change. Others are different and maintain interest over a longer period of time.

The one important thing is not to feel like you have to fight it - try to rekindle it by all means with a project or new gear or simply travel - but if the spark isn't taking don't force it. Just let it slip to the back of your mind as something else takes over and then, a month, week, few weeks later the bug will bite again just as strong.

When you get in a slump, find a new technique to try out and experiment with. Or just put the camera away and step back for a while. Both seem to work just fine when I am feeling a bit like that. I haven't done anything for me personally with photography in quite a few weeks now. So, other than work? I've put the camera away. Although, I was browsing around WPPI's competitions and I think I have a project I want to start on now...

Why not try shooting some still life arty studio stuff, try and make something boring look interesting
one from playing around at the weekend
Image00005-L.jpg

Or try some water drop shots! They are fun!!

They are really hard too! I would read up on it before you try water drop. I think it's the weather. I am the same way right now I just try to force myself to take the camera out for normal stuff but I can't wait to go to Florida in a couple weeks.

Definitely want to try some water drops soon. It's on my "to do" list!! :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back