Exhibition Prints - Advice Needed

DavePearce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I have an exhibition at a symposium in upstate New York and L.A in June, (2013) and am wondering how other photographers would approach the logistics and printing for this assignment?
I currently live in New Zealand by the way.

I have decided to print onto a rollable canvas so that I can easily transport the pieces to and from and back again to N.Z. I will need the highest quality print possible, which I need to research into. Also whether I will be best served to print in America or in N.Z and carry over in tubes?

I am still un-decided whether to mount the canvas's on a wrapped frame or frame them in a more typical manner with a light or dark wooden frame. But am leaning heavily towards the latter, framed option as I think that it is more of a classic, professional look.

I really value other peoples opinions and perspectives, so let me know how you would approach this.

Cheers

Dave

Shipping giant pictures across the globe is going to be expensive.

It may be cheaper to print your images in NY and then discard them.

But I guess that depends on what size you'll be printing, and how you'll have to move them.

Can you provide more info into what you're trying to do?

What sizes are we talking about?

So you have two exhibitions, accross the country from each other both in June? How long is each exhibit? What sort of venue is it, fine art, trade show, something else?

If it was me I might try for those black easy to dissasemble metal frames and try to work things that way. They are minimal and clean looking and should collapse down for minimal shipping costs.

If you're considering having prints done to pick up instead of shipping internationally, Lumiere Photo in Rochester NY (if that's near the location of the exhibition) sells materials for matting, framing and for exhibition purposes. I don't live in that area but have ordered supplies from them and I think they print and mat/frame photos locally. I believe you can send photos digitally to them to be printed at their shop although I haven't looked into that service.

I would imagine there could be similar businesses in NYC and on the west coast as well. Shipping within the US might be an option once you arrive, or shipping from where you live might be better, depending on your budget and needs.

I wonder? Have you ever tried to roll a canvas print?

I would expect the print (image emulsion or ink/dye) to crack.

How many images? How big? What kind of budget do you have?

So I have an exhibition at a symposium in upstate New York and L.A in June, (2013) and am wondering how other photographers would approach the logistics and printing for this assignment?
I currently live in New Zealand by the way.

I have decided to print onto a rollable canvas so that I can easily transport the pieces to and from and back again to N.Z. I will need the highest quality print possible, which I need to research into. Also whether I will be best served to print in America or in N.Z and carry over in tubes?

I am still un-decided whether to mount the canvas's on a wrapped frame or frame them in a more typical manner with a light or dark wooden frame. But am leaning heavily towards the latter, framed option as I think that it is more of a classic, professional look.

I really value other peoples opinions and perspectives, so let me know how you would approach this.

Cheers

Dave

WOW...sounds great.

I only make prints on paper. Hope you post photos of your exhibit for us to enjoy.

Good luck!!

Hey thanks for the replies everyone.

No I have never tried to roll photographic canvas's but I have bought art elsewhere and travelled with it internationally and it has been fine once unrolled. But of course that is a totally different medium of print, being paint.....

The collapsable frames are interesting, I will definitely look into that.

The commission is for a Sustainable Energy Symposium in which I am presenting my work (around Sustainability in N.Z) along side the researchers presentations. It will be a mix of fine art photography and a documentary style, narrative telling, series of images. The exhibition will only be up for a couple of days at a time and will most likely be printing onto A2.

I am going to study further into the rollable canvas idea and try travelling with them as my schedule once in the States is looking busy and I won't want to have to sort that out last minute. Failing that I will look into the collection, thanks VintageSnaps, and hope that they come out O.K......

Cheers

Hey thanks for the replies everyone.

No I have never tried to roll photographic canvas's but I have bought art elsewhere and travelled with it internationally and it has been fine once unrolled. But of course that is a totally different medium of print, being paint.....

The collapsable frames are interesting, I will definitely look into that.

The commission is for a Sustainable Energy Symposium in which I am presenting my work (around Sustainability in N.Z) along side the researchers presentations. It will be a mix of fine art photography and a documentary style, narrative telling, series of images. The exhibition will only be up for a couple of days at a time and will most likely be printing onto A2.

I am going to study further into the rollable canvas idea and try travelling with them as my schedule once in the States is looking busy and I won't want to have to sort that out last minute. Failing that I will look into the collection, thanks VintageSnaps, and hope that they come out O.K......

Cheers

If you are planning to buy frames/mats in the US, you might inquire as to the easy and inexpensive availability of A2 size frames here.

LL

Yeah it is very cheap over there.

I initially thought to print the photographs onto Canvas but am now wondering whether to print onto a high GSM matte paper instead?

Has anyone ever done this onto A2? what were your experiences? Any glare or loss in quality? did it look right on a large print? Oh and the big question, has anyone travelled with rolled, high GSM (let's say 310) matte paper? Did they unroll successfully?

Hmmm the decisions......

you know for an exhibition like this, I wouldn't feel comfortable displaying my work unless I first had it printed on the medium displayed to check the quality (including quality of a rolled and unrolled photo)

or at least some how seeing the finished product.

what about this new technology where they do an inkjet print to an aluminum back and cover in plexiglass?

I bet those things are damn near indestructible, and they look GORGEOUS

and they're definitely available in A2 -- was going through a local gallery and saw some amazing photos in A2 on this new medium

YES, I have seen them, we have a couple in a gallery here. They are gorgeous, your right. And I saw an inexpensive way on "Strobist" to re-produce this technique, but unfortunately I only have a few days in the U.S before the exhibition so need something practical and easy.

Went shopping today for answers and came to the conclusion that printed matte canvas, rolled and transported in these almost indestructible tubes will be the best option. I was assured that the rolled canvas's will maintain their quality fine, they also said that if it does crease for any reason then you can iron them on the lowest heat and it will re-settle the fibres of the canvas..... Let's hope I don't have to take an iron to my art though!

It might be cheaper to print the canvas's in the U.S but to save the stress and possible last minute risks, I would rather print here in N.Z and self courier them.

I would like to find out more about this Aluminum/Plexiglass technique though, there is definitely something in that. Especially for stunning landscapes!

Cheers all

Most reactions

Back