exif data for film

naptime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.toledotees.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
does anyone know if it's possible to create exif data for film ?

what i mean is...

i am shooting on black & white film.
then i process the film.
then i scan it in.

once it is now in digital form, can i create exif data for it?

when i view one of the above images in flikr, i can see exif data, but it obviously only lists the file information, such as dpi, creation date, time, etc..

is there a way to edit this file, and add in some of the info that would normally be found on exif from a digital camera... ie: the iso, shutter, aperture, flash, camera model, etc...

i'm keeping notes in a notebook with every shot, but i would like to add this data to the image if possible.

example....

this image: shot with my EOS 2000

the fence by jaythomson, on Flickr

shows this data:

[h=2]Dates[/h]
January 22, 2012 at 2.00am EST (edit)
January 22, 2012 at 5.22AM EST (edit)
Taken on Posted to Flickr
[h=2]Exif data[/h]
2400 dpi
2400 dpi
Paint Shop Pro 9.0
2012:01:22 05:09:39
Picasa
Co-sited
2012:01:22 02:00:38
sRGB
JPEG (old-style)
X-Resolution Y-Resolution Software Date and Time (Modified) Artist YCbCr Positioning Date and Time (Original) Color Space Related Image Width Related Image Height Compression

but this image: Shot with my Olympus Bridge

Colors by jaythomson, on Flickr

shows this data:

[h=2]Dates[/h]
January 21, 2012 at 12.12am EST (edit)
January 21, 2012 at 1.18AM EST (edit)

Taken on
Posted to Flickr
[h=2]Exif data[/h]
Olympus SP510UZ
0.008 sec (1/125)
f/3.3
26.4 mm
0 EV
Off, Did not fire
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Version 1.1
2012:01:21 01:05:35
Picasa
Co-sited
Creative (Slow speed)
2012:01:21 00:12:58
2012:01:21 00:12:58
Multi-segment
Unknown
sRGB
Normal
Auto
Auto
Standard
High gain up
Normal
Normal
Normal
4fa3c912a928f2cb30dcce33056ec9c1
Normal, Sequence: 0, Panorama: (none)
HQ (Normal)
Off
Unknown (6)
7.162 mm
-39 -102 -134 -21 -65 -93
NORMAL
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Off
Auto
000J92238676
(Binary data 1512 bytes, use -b option to extract)
JPEG (old-style)
XMP Core 5.1.2
Picasa
UTF8
Picasa

Camera
Exposure
Aperture
Focal Length
ISO Speed
Exposure Bias
Flash
X-Resolution
Y-Resolution
Image Description
Software
Date and Time (Modified)
Artist
YCbCr Positioning
Exposure Program
Date and Time (Original)
Date and Time (Digitized)
Compressed Bits Per Pixel
Max Aperture Value
Metering Mode
Light Source
Color Space
Custom Rendered
Exposure Mode
White Balance
Digital Zoom Ratio
Scene Capture Type
Gain Control
Contrast
Saturation
Sharpness
Image Unique ID
Special Mode
Quality
Macro
BWMode
Digital Zoom
Focal Plane Diagonal
Lens Distortion Params
Camera Type
Resolution
Camera ID
Pre Capture Frames
White Board
One Touch WB
White Balance Bracket
White Balance Bias
Scene Mode
Serial Number
Firmware
Data Dump
Related Image Width
Related Image Height
Compression
XMPToolkit
Creator
Envelope Record Version
Coded Character Set
By-line

well, that screwed up the table that was posted.. but i'm sure you get what i mean..

can an exif be fully edited?

in picasa it only lets me edit the date and time.

i have not found where its at or if its possible with paint shop pro 9 or with gimp or corel photo paint.

I'd be interested in the answer to that as well.

Are you on a Mac or a PC? I haven't played around with it on my Mac, but on my PC, I can right click, choose Properties, then choose the Details tab, and I can change/add SOME of the Exif data, but not all of it. For instance, I can change the name of the camera, but not the f stop or the focal length.
No reason I'd really want to with my digital photos, but I also can't ADD that information if it's missing.

I'm sure there must be another way, but I don't know what it is.
I googled it, but only looked at the first few results--looks like there are some specific programs that you can get to allow you to edit the exif data, but if there are ways to do it without those programs, they are further down in the google results I got.

Can't you right click on the file, go to properties and add whatever you want there?

Some of the later Nikon film cameras had that capability,maybe the F5,F6 or F100 I think.
They had a slot for a memory card that recorded all the info for each shot to be read after you removed the film for developing
Ron G

Search for "exif editors."

Some of the later Nikon film cameras had that capability,maybe the F5,F6 or F100 I think.
They had a slot for a memory card that recorded all the info for each shot to be read after you removed the film for developing
Ron G

I had an F100 and no slots for that camera.

If your using PS to work with your scanned images you can go into info and add as much info as you wish. I have never tried it with a scanned negative, but it works with files and helps me keep track of added tips i might want to remember later on.

As I said,it was one of the cameras I mentioned and I read it within the last few days looking through some of the Ken Rockwell reviews.Ron G

As I said,it was one of the cameras I mentioned and I read it within the last few days looking through some of the Ken Rockwell reviews.Ron G

Ken Rockwell, the man who rates equipment he has never used. REALLY! I own the f100 and there is no way to place a memory card of any type in that camera.

Opanda software will allow you to create and edit EXIF info at will.

Interesting, I use Opanda in my classes for reading the metada, never knew one could create or add. I will have to take another look. Thanks for the tip

The F5, F6 and F100 don't have memory slots, as ann says. They can, however, be connected to the MV-1 data reader. I remember thinking 'somebody might find that useful' when it came out. My F2AS can also be connected to the WTF-1 Wireless Transmitter F-series, but it is very difficult to get the 14 inch Winchesters for it.

At least one Minolta Maxxum (7xi maybe?) wrote some exif into the spaces between frames on the negative. Just shutter speed, aperture, and I think focal length though (that's really all you would need to know though...).

edit
It's the Maxxum 9000.

Last edited:
Opanda software will allow you to create and edit EXIF info at will.

Interesting, I use Opanda in my classes for reading the metada, never knew one could create or add. I will have to take another look. Thanks for the tip

Well,helen ws right and I was not paying attention but you finally forced me to go and look.Here is the link to his review of the F6.
I probably didn't read it too carefully because while thinking that it would be a nice feature to have I don't really expect to live long enough to own one.Ron G
Nikon F6

The F5, F6 and F100 don't have memory slots, as ann says. They can, however, be connected to the MV-1 data reader. I remember thinking 'somebody might find that useful' when it came out. My F2AS can also be connected to the WTF-1 Wireless Transmitter F-series, but it is very difficult to get the 14 inch Winchesters for it.

I had forgotten all about that connection plug on the camera, but it wouldn't have crossed my mind at the time to put it to use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back