EXIF Info...

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is there any way to copy the exif from one picture to another, whenever I edit a shot I always save in another format and lose all the exif data which is a pain as my site displays these details. :( :blushing:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that Photoshop saves the EXIF data when you save into a different format. What editor are you using?

EXIF also only applies to certain formats if I recall correctly (JPG, TIFF), so iif, for example, you're saving PNgs for a website, you can't store EXIF data. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though, anyone :)

First step is to make sure the profile is embedded...
Go to -->Edit, -->Assign Profile, and make sure the correct profile is assigned.

When you save the image, under Save Options, see "Color." Make sure the box is checked for the profile you want embedded.

Embedding profiles works for Tiff, Jpeg, PSD, AI (illustrator), INDD (indesign), and PDF

I convert to jpeg by opening a new canvas and pasting onto there as you can't do a 'save as' from a 16 bit RAW to an 8 bit jpeg, is there another way I should be doing this?

magicmonkey said:
I convert to jpeg by opening a new canvas and pasting onto there as you can't do a 'save as' from a 16 bit RAW to an 8 bit jpeg, is there another way I should be doing this?

Sure you can...go to -->Image, -->Mode and change the bit depth, then save as a jpeg. This will preserve the color profile.

MaxBloom said:
Sure you can...go to -->Image, -->Mode and change the bit depth, then save as a jpeg. This will preserve the color profile.

He's talking about the exif info not colour profile.

You lose the exif info if you copy to a new canvas or 'save for web'. There's no need to copy to a new canvas. When you have finished processing your large image save it, then reduce the size, convert to 8bit colour and save as a jpeg under a different filename or folder. I keep all my 'web' images in a folder seperate from all my RAWs and PSD/TIFF files.

But to answer your original question, yes I think there are ways to hack EXIF info, but that's not the point of them really :wink:

Hope that helps,

Mohain

Thanks Mohain, that was exactly what I needed to know, sorry my explanation was so skatty!

bobaab said:
can't you alos just go to Save as... and then select .jpg out of the drop down list? by default, if u're working on it, it will be on .PNG, but change that to .JPG and you will have no problems. And all the women in the world.
No, if your default work flow is to set a 16 bit depth then it won't offer JPEG in the drop down menu. You need to first select Image Mode 8 Bit to have all the 8 Bit-Only options available as well.

Most reactions

Back