Exotics Rally Opportunity

CanonSnob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jadamphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got approached to be the sole photographer for a 6 day exotics rally. The guy in-charge of the event asked me to put together a letter of intent for him. I'd like to do one of two things.

1.) Either Charge him my full day shoot rate for each day of the rally and give him all the photos full rez and rights to use them as he pleases

2.) Give him access to web sized (1000pix max 72ppi) copies of the shots for him alone to use for advert, but not to redistribute. Leaving me the opportunity to sell the images to the 100 car owners involved in the rally, as well as anyone else who may want posters that I image I will make out.

What are you guys opinions and suggestions on the matter. This is my first time shooting for something of this caliber. Mainly I shoot for small business or personal. Also links to where I might find some good legal documents that help protect my end of things.

Thanks in advance.

To me I would want to represent my work as good a quality as possible to my client but I can agree there would probably be a great opportunuty for secondary sales to some of the car owners. This might be something you put into any potential contract and if he wants those sales you NEED to price accordingly.

why not give him full resolution images and rights to use them for adverts and such, but not for distribution. that way, he gets the best quality and you get the secondary sales...

To me I would want to represent my work as good a quality as possible to my client but I can agree there would probably be a great opportunuty for secondary sales to some of the car owners. This might be something you put into any potential contract and if he wants those sales you NEED to price accordingly.
He was talking about cars?
Damn!

I got approached to be the sole photographer for a 6 day exotics rally. The guy in-charge of the event asked me to put together a letter of intent for him. I'd like to do one of two things.

1.) Either Charge him my full day shoot rate for each day of the rally and give him all the photos full rez and rights to use them as he pleases

2.) Give him access to web sized (1000pix max 72ppi) copies of the shots for him alone to use for advert, but not to redistribute. Leaving me the opportunity to sell the images to the 100 car owners involved in the rally, as well as anyone else who may want posters that I image I will make out.

What are you guys opinions and suggestions on the matter. This is my first time shooting for something of this caliber. Mainly I shoot for small business or personal. Also links to where I might find some good legal documents that help protect my end of things.

Thanks in advance.

Yep cars...

Thanks for the advice. The more I've thought about it, I doubt he will want to resell my images. He is making somewhere in the $50-75k per entry like most of these rallies I'm sure. Selling some photos at the end of it's probably not worth his time. I'm sure he just wants good photos to use as publicity to keep the rally growing.

can anyone help me with the verbiage of stating the client will receive all photos taken over the course of the rally but for advertising use only and not for reproduction or resale... not sure if the word reproduction is good, if making an advert from my images might be considered 'reproducing' the work

This is an intense opportunity for you. I shot a dodge viper gathering - didn't know what I was doing at the time! Anyway, the next morning during the drivers last meeting, I set up a laptop and photo printer for the drivers to see the pictures and buy them right there.

These car owners will get tons of pictures, and not think a thing about prices. Take some nice artsy ones too. I've sold a few 20x30's from the event.

My mistake: when selling pictures after the event (at the meeting), I couldn't keep up with the demand. At the time, I didn't have Smugmug setup, so online sales didn't happen. Just plan out how you're going to get the drivers pictures fast. Now would be a great time to get an online sales service like Smugmug, and then pass out some classy business cards to advertise it.

Thanks, you excite me even more about the opportunity :) I have a gallery set up on my web page [link below, follow the 'Event Photo Gallery' link on the homepage] that I've been selling through. Works amazingly and no commissions on image sales.

Here is a rough draft of what I will send the guy running the rally. Let me know if you think I should add anything, change anything up, or reword things. I'm open for all opinions, experience, and advice to make this contract happen. I give two options to them to choose. I can see both being benifital. A is to get more marketing of my name out there which I have been trying to work on recently and B is, well B is just cold hard cash. Everyone likes that :D

Jadam Photography Letter of Intent

I’ve come up with two basic options, that are free be reworked, but that I feel will tailor either angle XXX Inc. would prefer to come at. I’ll let XXX Inc. choose which one would work best to meet the needs of the rally. Then we can hash over the details of that option to make it work in both our favors as best as possible.

Option A:
-A rate around $50-100 per day allowance (total of $250-$500 over the course of the 5 day rally) Paid in advance, upon my arrival in Reno.

-Lodging, transportation between stops, and round trip flights arranged and paid for by XXX Inc.

-Any available advertising space throughout the event of Jadam Photography’s logo & web address
-Stickers on cars (if an option)
-As part of flyers, formal handouts, any XXX Inc. printed material in relation to the rally,
-Banner/link of some kind on designated rally web page (favor will also be returned on my web page and myspace page)

-XXX Inc. will have rights to all images Jadam Photography produces over the course of the event for advert use only. All images will have the ‘Jadam Photography’ logo placed on all images, and is not to be removed.

-Resale and Republication of any type of images by XXX Inc. will not be allowed without written consent of Jadam Photography. Potential customers of images will go though Jadam Photography to purchase individual images.

-Jadam Photography will be notified by any public use of images. 3 copies of any use in print form will be mailed to Jadam Photography. Anything Printed larger than 12” x 18” can be negotiated over copies being sent to Jadam Photography. (For tear sheet, and advertising use by Jadam Photography)

Option B:
-A rate of $350 per day* ($1750 over the course of the 5 day rally) Paid 25% in advance upon arrival in Reno, 25% at the end of the rally in Beverly Hills (prior to return flight) and final 50% upon XXX Inc’s receiving all images shot by Jadam Photography from the rally.

-Lodging, transportation between stops, and round trip flights arranged and paid for by XXX Inc.

-Advertising of Jadam Photography at XXX Inc’s disscretion
-XXX Inc. will have rights to all images Jadam Photography produces over the course of the event for any use desired by XXX Inc. No Jadam Photography logos will be present on images, but credit is appreciated.

-Jadam Photography will be notified by any public use of images. 3 copies of any use in print form will be mailed to Jadam Photography. Anything Printed larger than 12” x 18” can be negotiated over copies being sent to Jadam Photography. (For tear sheet, and advertising use by Jadam Photography)

*$350 is my typical 8hr shooting rate, I’m sure I will be putting in well over 8hr days of shooting on the event so I feel it is a fair price

be sure to update us on where things go from here - which option they choose, etc. I'm intrigued :)

Exotic car owners will spend the $$$ for quality shots. The better your equipment the better image quality. The larger the prints, the more money, but they need to look good.

I know this should go without saying, but I have worked around this type of clientele for a long time. They will out buy they’re buddy’s to show off.

Your ability to appreciate humor is boundless.

I agree with Jip. The secondary sales amy indeed amke you a great amount of bank on this kind of shoot. I bet you do see a fair amount of secondaries too as, car owners generally have a rabbid love affair with their cars.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back