expanding wedding packages - questions...

ahphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.amandahutchinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey All,

I have a quick question... I've been doing a little research and didn't really find what I was looking for so I thought I'd ask you pros...

I am in the process of expanding my wedding packages and my question is for the wedding photoghers... do you offer "special things" in your packages, such as canvas wraps... proof portfolios... DVD slide shows or albums??? If yes which do you find most people like the best?

One more quick question - Do you think the printed photo books are preferred more over the normal photo albums?

Thank you much for all of your help!
ahphotography

I don't do a whole lot of business yet, but I'll chip in my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

There doesn't seem to be a 'best' way to do it. What works in one market, might not fly in another. It also depends on the market segment that you cater to.

I think a lot of these 'special things' are becoming more popular, especially in the higher end of the market. Albums especially are talked about quite a bit...fancy high end, leather covers, hand made in Italy etc. Several photographers I know, are selling these albums for well over $1000 a pop. That's on top of the photography package.

There are lower priced 'printed photo books' and several photographers have a range of products avaliable. One problem with that, is that you need samples of all these things in order to really sell them. Some companies will give you free sample books and most will give you a pretty good discount on sample albums...but it's still fairly expensive to build up a good collections of samples etc.

As for whether or not to include those in your packages....that's a good question. Some like to set up easy to order packages and some like more of an á La Cart system.

Some photographers prefer to simplify things and have only one or two packages. I know a guy who has two packages ($3000 & $6000), both are all day coverage but one includes a high end album.

I guess it could also come down to how good of a salesman you are...or how much selling you want to do. Some photographers are great at sales and it would be good to have a whole line up of products to offer. Some would prefer to have fewer option so they don't have to rely on 'extra' sales to pay the bills.

I'm not really catering to a higher part of the market yet...I usually include a DVD slideshow and give them an album of 4x6 prints (in a nice but not too expensive album). I am planning on selling some higher end albums and products but I don't have the samples yet.

First off I think the best way to figure out something like this is to research photographers in your area and see wht kind og things they offer. I imagine being in WV as your sig says you are sort of in a limited market so it might be hard. If you look here http://www.weddingchannel.com/local/home.action or here http://www.weddingphotousa.com/westvirginia/photographerwv.htm you might find some photographers in your area to make comparisons. The bottom line is though you need to figure out what your local market will bear as far as price before you start expanding packages. As far as the type of albums you offer I think the most popular thing going now are the photobooks with the collage pages but offering different products and giving your clients a choice is the best way to go.

great points. besides the market area, you never know who will like what. i drove myself crazy for a long time with packages; i was changing them every month to find the right combination. what should i include, how should the pricing be, if i raise this one, i have to raise this one, but how do i justify it, etc. it was maddening! i finally switched to one base package which includes 2 photographers for 8 hours and an online gallery. From there they can add what they want. it is easy for me, easy for them, no guess-work of "if i get this package but not this one, i will save $200 but then i want this instead of this, what deal can you do for us if we want this over that?!" now they can add what they want and be done with it. there are some couples who prefer packages. they like to be told what they will get. i don't want to go that route. in the end, i'm happier since it is cleaner for me with less confusion. i don't think there is such a thing as a good package since everyone is so different. good luck.
Steve

Most reactions

Back