Experiences with Maxxums?

ZedU54

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...ok, here goes...I've got a couple of Maxxums--a 3xi and a 5xi...I believe those would be 'third generation', based on my (admittedly limited) research:
--first generation: 4-digit (eg: Maxxum 7000/9000)
--second generation: -si (eg: Maxxum HT/QT/XTsi)
--third generation: -xi (eg: Maxxum 2/3/5/7/9xi)
--fourth generation: single digit (eg: Maxxum 4/5/7/9)
--fifth generation: digital (eg: Maxxum 5D/7D)
...and I HAVE read the manuals (and the Hove Foto User's Guide for the 5xi, which I found NOS--still in the plastic wrap--at a photo shop), so I have SOME ideas about what everything is and does on these cameras...
...I've already encountered what apparently is a common issue with these cameras: the aperture control ring that comes loose from its guide wheels...if it's out of position (it normally holds the lens aperture wide open when the lens is mounted), one symptom is that the built-in flash won't fire, just blink rapidly...I've repaired this on both cameras (it doesn't appear to be all that difficult a fix)...anyway, I'd be interested in hearing about anyone else's experiences with these cameras (btw, they're called 'Dynax' outside the USA)...

...also, there's an old thread here about Konica-Minolta going out of business...it is my understanding they only got out of the photography business last year and they're still around, but now concentrating on professional/scientific/medical digital imaging...there is still a website (http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~choc/minolta/mirror/ca.konicaminolta.com/index.html) where you can find and download Maxxum manuals...they'll be in PDF format, so make sure you have your Acrobat reader...

I own 6 Maxxums myself (3 7000's, 1 5000, and 2 300si's) I love shooting with the 7000's I've gotten great shoots with them, the 5000 has a few problems with the lcd, and so I haven't used it. The 300si's are basic auto program only cameras, and also haven't been used. I mainly got the 300si for my wife and son, and they decided they didn't like it. Oh well. :meh:

...guess I've been lucky; neither of my Maxxums have any LCD problems...now, I have a 7xi on the way to add to my arsenal; allegedly, it flashes 'HELP' upon power-up...that apparently means something is amiss in the film transport system...I'm looking forward to checking this out...

Most reactions

Back