Experimental ideas?

atleastwedream

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to use some kind of experimental printing method for a photo assignment i have to do for class (i got to art school for photo). Its due in 2 weeks so i was thinking of trying to do something simple and not too too expensive. I have been looking into experimental printing methods and I love doing gum bichromate but i do not have the ability to do it and I'm not really interested in doing cyanotypes.
Does anyone have any suggestions? it can be a printing method or any other type of experimental thing!
thanks for your help!

cyanotype with toners, Van Dyke, BVD, Salt prints, Kalitype. pinhole. cold reticulation should I go on?

check out Bostick and Sullivan's web site. They have lots of goodies.

You are getting good advice here. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum for contact info to Bostick & Sullivan as well as a few other places.

You could also click the revolving Lensbabies/Freestyle ad at the upper left of TP's main page to get to Freestyle. They are quite helpful and sell various alt process kits, probably the easiest way to get something done for an assignment.

Once at the Freestyle site, click under the right-handed "photo enthusiasts" thumbnail and take a look at the categories on the far left column. At the top is Alternative Processes, where there is a list of other possibilities you might try to get a more unique look, including hand coloring and toning.

Have fun with it!

does this have to be an alternartive process?
as there are always photograms or chemical painting.

The easiest may just be the Sabbatier or Solarization method, if that counts as an experimental process.

I'll always make at least one if I'm printing, just for the fun of it.
Same with photograms.

Oh yes that is the technique I was thinking of but couldnt' remember the name of! Very fun and out of the ordinary!

You could also apply "Liquid Light" to some interesting textured surface.

Reticulate the hell out of it. Develop and fix, then into boiling water for a split second and then cold water. For some reason reticulated negs take FOREVER to dry.

Tinfoil in an old dot matrix printer......

Most reactions

Back