Experimentation - IR Waterfall

A

astrostu

I got an IR filter for Christmas and did some experimentation. I think I've finally got down the how to take pictures, but I'm still working on the processing part. These are two shots I took of a 45-ft waterfall at the Krohn Conservatory in Cincinnati, OH. 25 mm lens, f/25, 4 sec exposure in visible and 4 min exposure in IR.

I'm curious as to what people think, especially if there are suggestions on how to process the IR shot better. Oh yeah, and anyone have an idea as to why the water disappears in the IR?

nature_ir_02_big.jpg

nature_ir_02ir_big.jpg

Process:
Open Image.
Duplicate layer.
*On new layer*Channal Mixer > Red(red:0% green:0% blue:100%) Blue(red:100% green:0% blue:0%). Don't need to adjust green > OK.
Curves > Change RGB to Red > Drag curves down(can see the colour change to how you wish)
Saturation > Red(increase lightness a bit) > Blue(increase lightness to desired amount)

Switch order of layers.
The NOW top layer > Set layer style to "luminosity".

Flatten image.
The end.
The last stages weren't needed. You could do the whole lot on just the one layer.

This is what I got.

nature_ir_02ir_big.jpg

I guess the water didn't show up as much:
a)was a 4min exposure and the water was running very fine from what it shows in the first image.
b) water doesn't absorb as much UV light(right?)

i think it absorbs IR, instead of reflecting it. Which is why you cant see.........just a guess though.
Also, i hope you can shoot in RAW. Really helps to get a good WB. You just have to click on a leave or something with the dripper thingie. I say this cause in your pic the leaves arent white, but instead have a purple-ish color. But if you like that....:)

Most reactions

Back