Experimenting w/ off-camera flash

JenR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't shared in a looooong time. Here are 3 from me. As always, I would love any feedback on these. I can look up EXIF info if anyone is interested.

0108_4.jpg

0108_3.jpg

0108_2.jpg

~jen :)

*BUMP*

Are they really that bad and/or boring??

The lighting looks great. It nice and soft and the direction works, although it could have been lower in #2, so there are not shadows on his eyes.

You might also want to consider a hair light for this type of shot, so that he's not fading into the background at the edges.

The light looks pretty direct and not quite so soft as I have seen in other portraits in the first, I must say, so I believe you still don't have a softbox (which is no fault of any kind, of course), but I LIKE the effect you created! The direction looks pretty good in the first (but Mike's mention of a hairlight applies).

Also I was thinking that in 2 the light comes from a little to high above him, his eye brows cast some shadows over part of his eyes ... and effect with disappears with his changed expression in 3 ... that one is my favourite here, too. :D Though I must admit it competes for first place fiercely with the first!

Nice photos, I like them. What equipment do you use? The Nikon Wireless System? How did you achieved that solid black background (Photoshopped it out?)?

The skin-tone could be a bit more "warmer" (add more yellow)...

I really love that first one. His little expression is so cute, the lighting is awesome, and for some reason I love shots that show the whole body. Not that it's a technical thing, I just like it when everything is in the picture, unless it's a head shot only. I dunno, either way, awesome job!!! :)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!!! I am glad that you like them. :)

I need to pay more attention to the shadows over his eyes like in #2. The light was in the same position for all of them. It is amazing how a *subtle* difference in his head position can really make or break a photo. :er:

I am using a Nikon D50 and an SB-600 with a small (maybe 22-inch) umbrella. Since the D50 is not really setup to use off-camera flash, I have a wire connecting them and have to use everything in manual mode. There is quite a bit of trial and error right now, since I am shooting a moving target with my camera and flash in manual mode and no flash meter to help!

cumi-- He is sitting on black velvet. No photoshopping required there.

There is quite a bit of trial and error right now,
That's the best way to learn this

since I am shooting a moving target with my camera and flash in manual mode and no flash meter to help!
Actually, shooting in manual is pretty good for that type of scenario...because once you get it set up, you shouldn't have to worry about exposure at all...since it should be the same for each shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back