Experimenting with movement

Looks like a success. Great subject with a lot of options. Maybe add a side by side with a longer shutter speed to see what that looks like.

Looks like a success. Great subject with a lot of options. Maybe add a side by side with a longer shutter speed to see what that looks like.
Thank you! I'm sure to visit that fountain again. It's about 2.5 miles up the trail from the house.

Flash will always help in this situation

If you get chance
Go back to the fountain and do a series of shots
Your current shot you have frozen the water try slower and slower shutter speed
I am not a fan of the milky water but when I shot a waterfall I used different s speeds until I had a hint of movement in the water

Fountains are ideal for this sort of thing - particularly at dusk, when long exposures are easily done on a tripod & flash can be used to freeze the motion.
Neither super fast frozen shots or long exposures will look like we see the fountain but both are more interesting IMO for that very reason.

I don't think there any exposure length that wouldn't work well with a fountain, but there's little point in going beyond a few minutes :)

looks frozen to me. well done.

Thank you! I'll continue to experiment with this fountain. I'll look at the flash thing, but the fountain is a good way away from the pond shore, so I would imagine a very strong flash would be required. Very helpful!

Looks pretty good to me, Jeff. I have to ask, what were your settings for this pic.
Thank you! f/6.3 1/4000 (max for the 2000D) ISO 640 130mm. It was on the dark side, so I had to brighten it a bit. It was taken at about 15:30 on a partly cloudy day.

Looks pretty good to me, Jeff. I have to ask, what were your settings for this pic.
Thank you! f/6.3 1/4000 (max for the 2000D) ISO 640 130mm. It was on the dark side, so I had to brighten it a bit. It was taken at about 15:30 on a partly cloudy day.

I see. I would go back to that fountain during the golden hour with that water backlit by some beautiful light to make those droplets pop and do some bracketing to find out what works best to your liking. Just as a suggestion, I would also give about 1/2500th ss along with that f/6.3. I say that because I capture water droplets pretty good coming off of birds at that ss and it's not so fast it's choking off light. GL.

Last edited:

I see. I would go back to that fountain during the golden hour with that water backlit by some beautiful light to make those droplets pop and do some bracketing to find out what works best to your liking. Just as a suggestion, I would also give about 1/2500th ss along with that f/6.3. I say that because I capture water droplets pretty good coming off of birds pretty good at that ss and it's not so fast it's choking off light. GL.
Thank you! I'll give that a try. Dusk and Dawn are a little risky out in that area, because it is the domain of a largish pack of coyotes once the sun goes down. I'd love to catch a picture of the coyotes, but we've been warned by the wildlife folks to avoid them.

hello Jeff ...

your next exercise is this fountain with ND64 ;)[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Don't have one in my kit yet, but will put that on my todo list, along with some other filters.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back