Expired film exposur questions (Fujicolor 160 NPS)

elemental

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey film friends,

I had the opportunity to stop by a fairly local pro shop today and saw they had a basket of $3 expired film. I picked up some Fujicolor 160 NPS "Portrait Film" that expired in April 2006, and based on my knowledge of the store I'm sure it was refrigerated at least until then and probably longer, spending the remaining time at room temperature. I'd heard of some people using longer exposure times for expired film to compensate for its loss in sensitivity as it breaks down, but more Google-ing revealed that this seems to only be necessary for film in the ten-year plus expired range. It also seems that people shoot this film anywhere from 100 to 400 with results that please them. Since this is (a) film that I have never used before, (b) probably still relatively fresh considering the storage conditions and somewhat recent expiration date, and (c) film that seems to be fairly flexible to start with, though I will not be processing it myself, I should probably just go for 160. Any other thoughts?

This is probably going to get shot in the N75, since the Ricoh has a half-shot APX 400 roll in it and will probably be accompanying me to the city soon for a street photo extravaganza, which will be black and white and on a date probably determined the night before. The downside of using the N75 (other than how completely uninteresting and unengaging it is) is that it does not allow manual DX coding override, so I'd have to use +0.5 exposure compensation or something similar or meter appropriately in the uninspiring manual mode if necessary.

Again, thank you all for your help. You have made this film adventure possible.

I made a spelling mistake?! No!

If anyone with the necessary powers wants to fix the title, I'll be very grateful.

Most reactions

Back