Expired Film

Coldow91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get some expired film to shoot with a holga and other camera (so 120 and 35) Do you guys know of any places where I can get expired film because I want to see how it turns out and it won't cost a lot. I don't have a local camera store so....I am hoping you guys can recommend me some places

thanks in advance

eBay is really the only place if you don't have a local shop.

is the point to actually use expired film or just cheap film?

because you can buy a rolls of 35 & 120 for under $2 a roll, pretty cheap from freestyle.

Otherwise, eBay.

Okay thanks! it is part using cheap film and part the fun and surprise from using expired film

I'll check on ebay

I know the local store usually has a pile of expired film. Usually it's not expired by more than a year or two -- if that. Usually there isn't much difference in that and fresh film, though I do notice the black+white film is rather flat. I do notice slide films are a little off too, but with a Holga, I guess that's part of the fun. So the cheaper the better, I guess! Check eBay, yeah and I do know Lomo.com sells expired film in bulk packs for an unreasonable price ;) They do have a lot of discontinued Agfa films.

for film with expiration date, is their actually any significant difference say the owner stores the film in ideal conditions?

for film with expiration date, is their actually any significant difference say the owner stores the film in ideal conditions?

Yes, cause if it's stored in a fridge or a freezer, the life is extended greatly.

Also, I just shot a roll of Fuji Superia 400 that was about 8 years old...and I didn't really notice such a bad effect. Some of the pictures were kind of grainy, but I'm not sure if Walmart compensated for exposure or something and that's why...

I told her not to make any adjustments on the pictures, and she's like "oh...we don't do that"...so....I dono. I hope she didn't...cause I'm trying to get an idea where my light meter stands. (I think it's a stop fast, so I shot at 200....they turned out properly exposed).

Some of the shots on this expired roll though, you could tell...but nothing too drastic. I want to find some film that's been expired for a long time....or wasn't as well taken care of.

DUDE!!! That's the understatement of the century.

Photo film, is a chemical, a type of gummy liquid if you will (not 100% accurate but bear with me)...

Now....chemical reactions are extremely temperature dependent...which is why if you raise the temperature of your developer by as little as 7 or 8 degrees you can reduce development time by half or more.

or if you drop it by only 6 or 7 degrees you can triple it.

The moral of the story? If you keep bricks of film in the dark and in a deep freezer, they will still be quite healthy long after you are dead and in the ground. That's true whether you are 16 or 60 today.

It's pointless, but if you kept it in a -70 D. Celcius lab freezer (neg 94 F), and wrapped in lead foil, I wouldn't be suprised if it lasted 2000 years or more.

Keeping it on a shelf in the tropics can kill film in as little as 4 months I hear, so you are best to bring your own film if you travel.

The problem with buying expired film that has "always been kept refridgerated", is that business is business, and vendors lie.

DUDE!!! That's the understatement of the century.

Photo film, is a chemical, a type of gummy liquid if you will (not 100% accurate but bear with me)...

Now....chemical reactions are extremely temperature dependent...which is why if you raise the temperature of your developer by as little as 7 or 8 degrees you can reduce development time by half or more.

or if you drop it by only 6 or 7 degrees you can triple it.

The moral of the story? If you keep bricks of film in the dark and in a deep freezer, they will still be quite healthy long after you are dead and in the ground. That's true whether you are 16 or 60 today.

It's pointless, but if you kept it in a -70 D. Celcius lab freezer (neg 94 F), and wrapped in lead foil, I wouldn't be suprised if it lasted 2000 years or more.

Keeping it on a shelf in the tropics can kill film in as little as 4 months I hear, so you are best to bring your own film if you travel.

The problem with buying expired film that has "always been kept refridgerated", is that business is business, and vendors lie.

That's one problem I don't like...is that at the store today when I bought some film...the store pulled it out of their fridge...but the fridge had a glass door...lol. Not that important, since it's brand new and I'm shooting it within the next month or two...but kinda weird, no?

fridge, as in, i can stick it in a those vaccum pack bags or a normal zip lock bag, and toss it in my freezer or fridge along w/ my milk and steaks?

fridge, as in, i can stick it in a those vaccum pack bags or a normal zip lock bag, and toss it in my freezer or fridge along w/ my milk and steaks?

I just put mine in while they're still in the canister (as does the photo shop). As long as you leave it in the canister and don't open it for about 30-45 minutes while it warms to room temperature, you should not have to worry about condensation.

Good luck.

PS - If you have those little egg holders at the top of your fridge door..they fit perfectly in there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back