Expired T64 Fujichrome

Judeamarco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello! I just found out a local art college has a huge stack of T64 Fujichrome that's been sitting in the freezer and its been expired for 7 years and are selling it for $3 a roll(I'm in Canada, $3 is a freakin' steal). I have access to E6 development but I just want to ask if I should rate it at 32ASA instead of the recommended 64ASA since its been expired for so long and what should I expect from this roll.

Quick Google searches give me a very blue tint when exposed to sunlight but what color should I expect from a chrome roll that's 7 years expired?

If it's only seven years over, and has been kept in cold storage, I would expect it to be be pretty much as new. I would do a test roll exposing at optimal settings before using for anything "for real".

Maybe that "freakin' steal" isn't such a deal. It's tungsten balanced, so if Windex blue isn't it, then you need color correction filtration, right? Point is, with a bit of over-exposure+filter compensation, you're looking at dropping the ISO or long exposures. Problem for many here in Toronto is no more E-6 processing. But you're lucky to have a lab(?).If possible, shoot a couple rolls and see what's what before you commit to shrinking that huge stack. Wouldn't pay more than a buck/roll given the vintage and no real certainty it's been properly stored. Frozen now doesn't mean frozen for 7+ years.

They also have Ektachrome 100 available, 7 years expired in cold storage as well. Do you guys think that would be better? But yeah, I'm planning on doing shots with this film indoors so I don't need to use a filter with it. It has been kept in cold storage though for 7+ years, known that for a fact since the photography classes at the college used almost exclusively BW or C41 film so they weren't used at all and they are in cold storage as well. But "the lab" in Vancouver does E6 processing for $10.50(unmounted) and shipping it is pretty cheap when sending a bunch of rolls.

I would definitely want more of the Ektachrome than tungsten slide film, but if they've been in cold storage the whole time, both should be pretty close to 'as new'. I've used 20+ year old, stored-on-the-shelf film with little apparent degradation.

If you like to experiment, and try it out first and not count on it for something important! it might be fun. I don't shoot chrome much at all but I've used expired film. Color I think can be more iffy than B&W but if you can get processing done without it costing an arm and a leg that would have me leaning toward trying it.

I have some Polaroid film that was done in sepia, 'chocolate', and blue - the blue shifted so I got mixed results but the sepia & chocolate turned out beautifully, wouldn't know it was 10 year old film. You're probably taking your chances, but at least the school probably kept it stored well so it might be worth a shot.

You can shoot the T64 @ ISO32 w/an 85B filter and flash. The Ektachrome is easier to shoot so will be cheaper in the long run. Use a good meter or camera with one for best results. I'd bracket as well to be sure and certainly wouldn't do anything important with it.

Lomography sells expired T64 for $13 US a roll.

If it's only seven years over, and has been kept in cold storage, I would expect it to be be pretty much as new. I would do a test roll exposing at optimal settings before using for anything "for real".

Get some of both you can always cross process it in C41

+1 to both.

Most reactions

Back