Explain lens hoods to me please

ISHUTTER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What is the purpose of the "tulip" shaped lens hoods?I went to the camera store to buy a hood,expecting a round rubber one but all they sell is the hard plastic ones that are shaped with cut outs(ie tulip).Are these better?

Thanks so much for the link.that is what I was looking for.

I still cringe when my lens is inevitably hit by something (out in the real world, especially around non-photographers, these things happen), but having the lens to help absorb and dissipate the impact is another level of comfort.

i was planning to ask this question too as all i could see it do was to leave a shadow in the pictures.

ISHUTTER said:
What is the purpose of the "tulip" shaped lens hoods?I went to the camera store to buy a hood,expecting a round rubber one but all they sell is the hard plastic ones that are shaped with cut outs(ie tulip).Are these better?

They are better if they are coupled with the lens they were designed for. It's tulip shaped to specifically take maximum advange of a particular lens. I wouldn't invest much in a generic tulip hood. Go with a cheap round, rubber hood, or invest in the actual lens hood designed to go with your lens.

jonasr_jp said:
i was planning to ask this question too as all i could see it do was to leave a shadow in the pictures.
As long as you use the proper hood, this should never be possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back