Expose for the Sky

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is the reason I expose for the sky. The first picture is as taken. Hugely underexposed foreground and the sky exposed fairly well.

44aa400a.jpg

Second photo is with

D-lighting
Better quality
Shadows - 70
Highlights - 1
Color Boost - 60

1 color control point on the sky
Size - 30%
Saturation - 60
Brightness - (-70)

1fedff06.jpg

If I had exposed for the trees the sky would have been solid white (I took a few like this). Even when adjusting in Capture NX, the fixing the sky when it is completely washed out looks horrible. Exposing for the sky and using D lighting to bring out underexposed sections really makes the photo pop I think. Some may argue that the sky is too dark in the second, but I like the stormy feel it gives.

Good example. I use cs2 for all my adjustments though. Capture NX has been too clunky and awkward for me. I do use it for converting my d300 RAW to TIFF. I'll get rid of it entirely when I upgrade to cs3.

Anyway, I agree, there's so much more information available to process exposing to the sky.

A polarizer would make for a lot less work in post.

I have to admit that while this may work in theory, I really don't like the look of the colours in the second photo. It seems to look fake, with really odd colours. D lighting in software does this to the pictures, which is why I never use it.

Graduated ND is what I need, but this tool works well until then.

If you don't like the looks of the colors, it can easily be adjusted with the Color Boost portion of the D-lighting settings. Decreasing that back to about 30 give a more natural feel. I however perfer the looks of the trees in my second photo which is why I went that route. My point is that D-lighting can be used in this method come out looking more "real" if you choose.

Graduated ND is what I need, but this tool works well until then. ...

... more "real" if you choose.

You do very well with what you have and the way you do it.

You do very well with what you have and the way you do it.

Thanks abraxas. That means a lot from someone who produces your superb caliber of photos.

Most reactions

Back