Exposing to minimize noise (when using high ISO)

Also the dynamic range you pick up from a scene is somewhat dependant on the lens you're working with. Some lenses are naturally contrasty, and pretty much tap both ends of the histogram in every shot, and others not so much...

Very interesting debate going on here. Just seen this video on on you tube and thought I'll share it with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
analog.universe said:
If we're just talking about specular highlights, you can get a lot more than 5%. Once it's blown, it's blown. Whether it's 1/3 stop over or 4 stops over. If that's the only thing in your image that's going, then you can sometimes push several stops without blowing anything else, which is a considerable amount of shadow detail.

Well, sure. If you are taking photos of really reflective surfaced in sunny conditions...

Again, it all just depends. But as a vernal (lol, autocorrect) rule its better to avoid any clipping. But certainly if specular are 5 stops above diffuse, then you'd want to clip specular to maintain diffuse.

I think some noise reduction software is what you need here.

Very interesting debate going on here. Just seen this video on on you tube and thought I'll share it with you.

There is no such thing as "perfect exposure" and anyone who advocates this idea doesn't understand exposure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back