Exposure Based On Sky

decado

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I just got done reading "Understanding Exposure" and I have a couple questions. In the book he talks about metering from the sky and getting a correct exposure from the sky, and then recomposing with those exposure settings and shooting the picture. As far as I can tell he never says what constitutes a correct exposure this way, how do I know what a correct exposure is of the sky, do I just balance it in the middle of the light meter or what? Also, he said this method is best for just about everything including macro shots, is this really true? Because I had a lot of shots today (overcast) that ended up very dark as a result.

Metering off clouds is different then metering off the sky. Yes, clouds are in the sky. But they are not the sky. Go back to the book and look at the sky in the photos he points out were metered by the sky.

If it was overcast, the you metered off bright white.

Ya, you're right, it looks as though I misread it.

It's funny how most people can go grab their copy and look it up in the book. It's like the first text book you get when you get your slr.

lol

My own theory to it (most likely wrong) is to allow the camera to meter the Direct source of the light instead of metering the reflective light.

Are you referring page 124?

I'm referring to the section on the sky brothers.

I'd still like to know what constitutes correct exposure on the sky without clouds and on reflective water. I think I got some good shots this way by balancing the meter in the middle, but I won't really know until I get home tomorrow.

So is this a good book for learning to understand exposure without having to use a meter, rather than just how to use the meter properly to get the exposure?

there isn't a correct exposure per say even if you just think of it as a starting point. also make sure the sun isn't in the scene when you take your meter.

then take a few shots, on cloudy white balance too (which will help warm up the sunset) and then have a look at them, zoom in on the pictures you've take too to see that everything looks alright, and if it;s not to YOUR liking then just increase or decrease the length of the exposure.

The correct exposure is that one which you are satisfied with.
Best to learn by doing - go out n meter the blue sky high and low; meter the clouds at varied points light dark n in between.
My personal choice and often needs field adjustment, is to meter the clouds, spotting the lighter if the darker areas (18% gray). This is my choice, quite subjective, but works for me.
Get out n play, learn, experiment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back