Exposure Bracketing

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking into getting a D90, and parting ways with my D3100.. I believe it served me well but, all good things must come to an end. I saw the Nikon D90 has Exposure bracketing, does that mean I could take 3 different pictures then later merge them into an HDR image?

I google'd it and came to that assumption

On a side note, my MacBook Pro 15 Inch is serving me well for CS4, and LR. However, I'm looking to update my Ram to 4GB sticks instead of 2GB sticks. Anyone have any good suggestion? Here is a screenshot from my computer.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

3 bracketed exposures is the minimum needed to make an HDR. You also will need a good sturdy tripod, and a remote shutter release is also handy.
Unfortunately, the D90 does not have a mirror up shooting mode for making exposures without mirror slap vibrations. The D90's mirror up mode is only usable for cleaning the image sensor.

If a scene has a broad enough dynamic range more than 3 exposures may be needed to make a quality HDR.

Many don't appreciate how much pre and post process work goes into making a high quality HDR.

Is your laptop 64 bit capable? If it isn't, it cannot address more than the 4 GB of RAM you have now.

3 bracketed exposures is the minimum needed to make an HDR. You also will need a good sturdy tripod, and a remote shutter release is also handy.
Unfortunately, the D90 does not have a mirror up shooting mode for making exposures without mirror slap vibrations. The D90's mirror up mode is only usable for cleaning the image sensor.

If a scene has a broad enough dynamic range more than 3 exposures may be needed to make a quality HDR.

Many don't appreciate how much pre and post process work goes into making a high quality HDR.

Is your laptop 64 bit capable? If it isn't, it cannot address more than the 4 GB of RAM you have now.

The highest Ram my Laptop can take is 8GB total, says this website I got from the bottom right of the 2nd screenshot

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011) - Technical Specifications

Yeah, That's a Windows thing the 4GB (actually 3.2) ceiling

You can do exposure bracketing even if you camera does not have Auto Exposure Bracketing. Simply use manual mode and since you want to change the shutter speed only, It's easy to bracket shutter speed since you simply multiply or divide by 4 to find the next bracket shutter speed (+-2 Stops)

3 exposures works in a lot of situations

You can learn more here

The HDR Image | HDR Photography – Tutorials – Processing – Coupon Codes

You can do exposure bracketing even if you camera does not have Auto Exposure Bracketing. Simply use manual mode and since you want to change the shutter speed only, It's easy to bracket shutter speed since you simply multiply or divide by 4 to find the next bracket shutter speed (+-2 Stops)

3 exposures works in a lot of situations

You can learn more here

The HDR Image | HDR Photography – Tutorials – Processing – Coupon Codes

I'm just wondering about which ram to get, which is compatible. I never replaced RAM in a Mac

... Unfortunately, the D90 does not have a mirror up shooting mode for making exposures without mirror slap vibrations. The D90's mirror up mode is only usable for cleaning the image sensor....
It doesn't have a mirror-up mode but it does have a shutter delay mode that raises the mirror and then delays a second or two before opening the shutter. Not the same thing, certainly, but better than nothing.

No, it's a digital numbers thing.

The range of integer values that can be stored in 32 bits is 0 through 4,294,967,295, or 4 GB........................

A 64 bit capable machine is required to address more than 4 GB of RAM.

That's incorrect. It's a 32bit OS and hardware limitation. Given that the OP is running a 64bit OS (OS-X Lion)/i7, he's good beyond 4GB.
I buy the non-Mac specific RAM on NewEgg for my Macs. Just make sure it matches the specs of your current RAM.

Also, the D90 has am Exposure Delay Mode (function D10) which locks up the mirror before releasing the shutter.

Most reactions

Back