Exposure cheat sheet needed.

Wow that is complicated. I have no idea what most of that means!

Sure it looks that way, but once you understand what each section means and does, it's really very nice and simple. (he said simple?)

It really takes into account, multiple lighting factors, which is correct, but for someone just starting, the basics come first. Print the page, and follow along.

Read and then ignore: Shutter Speeds and Clear Photos - which explains the slowest you can shoot, hand held. Table 1, adjustments for color temperature K. Exposure compensation meter, which just warns you that these subjects are not "normal" contrast and lighting.

Now you have just three boxes to deal with. See the instructions in the center?

1) Determine the light level, using the table in the lower left hand corner. For my example, I picked an easy one. 13 - Typical Daylight open shadows.

2) What is your film speed? 100, no adjustment, but since that would be too easy and not explain anything, lets use 400 film. You look in the EV to LV adjustment box, center left. 400 is +2 over the base number of 100 film. Typical Daylight = 15 for this film

3) Look at the box on the top. Find the diagonal that reads 15, 15, 15, 15... Pick any Aperture and Shutter speed, that intersects at #15 and you have your exposure.

But maybe you don't want to do that, because you want to have a deep depth of field. So you pick f/16 on the left side, move your finger across the row until you find #15. Look up on top, it says 1/125th. There you are.

Maybe you are shooting something that moves, so that would be too slow. You pick 1/500th up on the top, move your finger down the column until you find 15. Look on the Left, it says f/8. There you are.

That's it. 1-2-3

Find the Lighting LV
Adjust for the film speed EV
Select your settings to match the type of shot.

Shoot!

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I WILL USE IT! and will be proud to be my own light meter! Then I guess it is a case of making adjustments based on my camera...I assume all cameras expose differently at a given aperture and shutter speed. Thanks.

This one's off the back of a vintage Rolleiflex -- go authentic. The pictures on top are "scene modes" and the two rows on the bottom are your exposure comp.

Joe

expose.jpg

the sunny 16 "rule" does not mean, just bright days, one can just adjust the settings for other lighting conditions.

At one time, Kodak, placed that information on the inside of the film box. I.e. overcast days would be f4, open shade 5.6, etc.

This one's off the back of a vintage Rolleiflex -- go authentic. The pictures on top are "scene modes" and the two rows on the bottom are your exposure comp.

Joe

expose.jpg

Thanks Joe. This is on the back of my Rolleicord, but with the case I cannot see it! I am a little unsure about how this works with the Rolleicord camera -my wife has wrapped it for christmas so I cannot play with it. For example, say I am shooting a snow scene (top left pic on the chart) I have ISO200 film, so I set the EV dial to 17, then I assume that as the speed and aperture are 'cross-linked', the right-hand dials will give me fixed combinations of aperture and shutter speed -all of which will result in the same -correct- exposure?? OR, do I have a range of all shutter speeds and apertures regardless of EV chosen?

Can you explain how it works??? Thanks! Paul

Elsewhere in this thread folks mentioned the sunny 16 rule. A scene lit by direct sunlight is properly exposed at f/16 and 1/ISO sec. For an ISO 400 speed film that would be EV 17.

On the chart on the camera back the second vertical column of pictures is full sun; follow that column down to the ISO (ASA) 400 row and you'll see 17. That's EV 17. Adjust your camera to any shutter speed + f/stop combination that is EV 17 and you've got correct exposure for that sunny condition. The EV 17 combinations are:

f/32 and 1/125
f/22 and 1/250
f/16 and 1/500
f/11 and 1/1000
f/8 and 1/2000
etc.

Given your specific camera, an EV 17 exposure would limit you to only two possible combinations.

Back to the chart: 4th column from the left the pictures are open shade. The EV for the ISO (ASA) 400 row is 15. The EV 15 combinations are:

f/32 and 1/30
f/22 and 1/60
f/16 and 1/125
f/11 and 1/250
f/8 and 1/500
f/5.6 and 1/1000
etc.

I like to shoot with my pocket Retina IIC from the same era which likewise has no meter and does have a locking EV scale. I've learned to think about the changes in outdoor light as -x from full sun. I know the full sun EV for the film I'm using and then I just subtract as needed for the light condition. With practice you can get pretty good.

Joe

Hi Joe, Thanks for the explanation. I 100% get it now :) I can't wait to get shooting after xmas. I am thinking about going with black and white first....!? Or maybe colour...who knows! Do you know what the difference is between Colour film and colour slide film? I want to self develop my film and then scan the negatives.

Cheers

Paul

Most reactions

Back