Exposure compesation EV +/- HELP!

stevco

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,
I own Minolta maxxum 600si film slr camera, and i wanted to shoot long exposures using B&W Ilford FP4 plus 125 iso film. With normal exposure, on Aperture priority, after sunset i was getting like 5 to 10 seconds max at f/22. I found out that there is a ring EV +/-, so i turnet the ring to +3 (it is 'plus' 3, not 'minus', and that confused me) and that allowed me to have exposure from 20 to 30 seconds.

My question is: Does this change on EV with +3 have familiar with PUSH or PULL development process, so i will need to make the development longer for 3 stops or shorter? Did i decrease the sensitivity of the film for 3 stops or increase it?

And, does this affect the final image on quality, maybe the picture will be underexposed or overexposed?

I have a picture also, this is from the model Dynax but it's the same http://tw.bid.yimg.com/users/0/2/5/1..._1020173-3.jpg
I pushed the ring to +3 (it is on the right side, above the name 'Dynax')

I will be very glad if someone help me!
Stevco

If you expose at +3 EV you are underexposing by 3 stops.
Underexpose you overdevelope and vice-versa.

Exposure and development are two different things and do different things to the film. If you have really long exposures you will need to take reciprocity into account.

I wouldn't adjust development of the film at all. You can adjust when you print. With the exposures you are talking about, you may actually like the 20 to 30 second exposure. That reciprocity I was talking about.

You can't make up for under or over exposing your negatives by over or under developing. They don't go together. The best thing to do unless it is extreme, and I wouldn't call your situation extreme, would be to develop normally.

Isn't this backwards? +3 is OVER-exposing by three stops, hence the longer exposure time?

Isn't this backwards? +3 is OVER-exposing by three stops, hence the longer exposure time?

Yes, it is. +3 means just that. Gotta be careful with the info that you listen to, I say.

Most reactions

Back