Exposure indicator in the Nikon 5200

kindred_fp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys,

Got a nikon external flash, and my question does the exposure indicator take into account if you have an external flash connected because it seems like it doesnt.

When I was playing with manual setting indoors, the exposure indicator shows under exposed but with the flash it looks good. Is there a way to set it so that it takes into account the flash settings.

TTL is set on my flash? Any other ideas?

Yup.

Assuming you have already set your flash to iTTL, they will communicate with each other.

If TTL the camera takes flash into account when you take the shot. The exposure meter shows only the value for the light it meters, not light that will be added in by flash

If TTL the camera takes flash into account when you take the shot. The exposure meter shows only the value for the light it meters, not light that will be added in by flash

So in manual mode I need to make sure to use exposure indicator to be underexposes because its not taking into account the flash right?

I guess I'm trying to figure out will the exposure indicator help determine if the shot will be exposed. I dont understand when the indicator shows its underexposed but after the shot it looks exposed.

You have to be a bit clearer, manual mode on camera or on flash?

No. The reflected light meter reading you see in the viewfinder has nothing to do with the flash unit.

For TTL light metering the camera uses a light sensor that you cannot see that is dedicated to the flash.

The TTL pre-flashes are very short. There is one pre-flash that measures the reflected flash of light, and a second pre-flash that sets the power output of the flash unit. It all happens in less than the blink of an eye.

No. The reflected light meter reading you see in the viewfinder has nothing to do with the flash unit.

For TTL light metering the camera uses a light sensor that you cannot see that is dedicated to the flash.

The TTL pre-flashes are very short. There is one pre-flash that measures the reflected flash of light, and a second pre-flash that sets the power output of the flash unit. It all happens in less than the blink of an eye.
Ok that make sense, so when the exposure indicator shows something is underexposes, the flash will then compensate for it to make it correctly exposed.

Most reactions

Back