exposure question

spiffybeth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
tonight ill be shooting in a very low light environment (a bar). last time i shot it, i was shooting digital so i could adjust my settings as i saw fit, but this time id like to shoot film.

the settings i had it on was iso 1600, f/3.5-5.6 18-55mm (kit lens) and i set the shutter for 1/30.

this time, im going to be using film. iso 400 and a 50mm f/1.7. what should my shutter be to keep that same exposure?

what about if i shot at f/2.8?

that ain't gonna cut it I don't think.

My self I would be using 800 and 1.4 (in your case 1.7) and keeping the shutter as fast as possible.

But not knowing the exact light situation I can't be sure if that is too much or too little....this is one of those things one has to be there and read them selves to give the best advice.

ok, lets say i had iso800 and the lighting was the same as the first scenario. what then?

see the first post.

there must be an equation i can solve to find the answer, right????????

What aperture did you use when you shot the scene with your digital camera?

Well, f/2.8 is two thirds of a stop faster than f/3.5, so if 1/30th at f/3.5 was OK at ISO 1600 then f/2.8 at 1/30th will be a third of a stop under that exposure at ISO 800. With negative film that shouldn't be a problem, but I think I'd make sure I had a mixture of shots that included some with a bit more exposure as well.

Well, f/2.8 is two thirds of a stop faster than f/3.5, so if 1/30th at f/3.5 was OK at ISO 1600 then f/2.8 at 1/30th will be a third of a stop under that exposure at ISO 800. With negative film that shouldn't be a problem, but I think I'd make sure I had a mixture of shots that included some with a bit more exposure as well.
and if i went with f/1.7, at 1/30, that should be ok?

f/1.7 is another stop and a half faster than f/2.8 and so, let's see if I can keep track here, err - about two thirds of a stop to a stop more exposure than you had with your digital at f/3.5 and 1/30th I think. Bracket between those kinds of settings and the latitude in negative film will take care of the rest.

This wiki page has useful tables which set out the f/ number sequence in half and third stops

This web page has a chart that gives you a rule of thumb exposure guide for all kinds of situations, and equivalent exposures.

Kevin

thank you very much, kevin!!!!!

You have to keep your shutter speed at 1/60 or more, so ISO400 at 1/60 would be f/1.4 to f/2 at your orig dig aperture range.

ISO 1600 to ISO 400 is a 2 stop drop in exposure. 50mm lens in a darkroom should be set at no less than 1/60, not to mention this is a good flash sync speed. 1/30 to 1/60 is a one stop drop in exposure. That gives us three stops total drop in exposure. To maintain reciprocity we must then increase three stops on the aperture. f/3.5 to 2.4 to f/1.6 to f/1.1. On second though, get ISO 800 and shoot from f/1.7 to f/2.8. 'Cause that f/1.1 is not attainable and you would have to drop your shutter speed way too low to hope of a sharp image. Get faster film. It's gonna be a little grainy, but you gotta work with the light.

thanks, chris!

Most reactions

Back