exposure question

explody pup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Got a new camera a while ago. Since it doesn't have a meter on it I've been using the Ultimate Exposure Computer. The first photo seemed to turn out fine:

exposure11zo.jpg

But then there's this turd:

exposure26cq.jpg

Some scotch + being in a hurry + laziness = I didn't take any notes as far as aperature and exposure. But is the above photo underexposed? I've noticed a LOT of the photos I take using my Pentax K1000 turn out like this in low light when I use the on-board meter.

I never seem to be able to get low light photography looking half-way decent. Anybody want to share some tips? I have a roll of ISO 50 film in there I used for some 4+ minute exposures. I'm curious to see how they turn out.

To my eye, the top one is very slightly underexposed and the bottom one is overexposed assuming you are using negative film.

Rob

The second is definately underexposed. If it were overexposed it would look like daytime, and the red sky would be completely burned white.

I don't know all the details of a K-1000 meter (like if it's center weighted, averaging, or what), but I know it's about as simple of a meter as it gets. This sort of scene is tricky for a meter, even the fancy smancy ones in current cameras. The light in the foreground may be lower than it's even possible for your meter to read, while the sky is still being lit by the sun. You are going to be better off going with Fred Parker's advice, and bracketing a stop or so on either side.

ksmattfish said:
The second is definately underexposed. If it were overexposed it would look like daytime, and the red sky would be completely burned white.

I don't know all the details of a K-1000 meter (like if it's center weighted, averaging, or what), but I know it's about as simple of a meter as it gets. This sort of scene is tricky for a meter, even the fancy smancy ones in current cameras. The light in the foreground may be lower than it's even possible for your meter to read, while the sky is still being lit by the sun. You are going to be better off going with Fred Parker's advice, and bracketing a stop or so on either side.

I always get that backwards!! Thanks for pointing that out for him before my advice made the situation worse! :lol:

Rob

Most reactions

Back